or Connect

Posts by Cause Moe

I've done this kind of purge several times over the years. But only on a 12-month basis, never a 6-month basis. My clothing usage has a yearly cycle, as well as daily and weekly cycles. Anything unworn for over a year is subject to disposal in a clothing donation box somewhere. (The parking lot of my local hardware store has a wide variety of choices). But I don't want to purge last winter's active wardrobe now, in September, just because there are items I haven't worn...
  And who might you be at the end of the day? When someone on SF asks for clothing advice for an overweight man, or dares post a photo, they're generally torn apart for being fat. A lot of the advice is that they absolutely must lose weight in order to look good in their clothes. I don't recall you (or anyone else) criticizing these comments before.   What's next, will someone try to defend Marra's boots, because that's who he is, and what kind of internet jerkoff are you...
  Those guys look strangely familiar.
  When you find a tailor that 1) you like, and 2) does a good job, use that tailor permanently. You may have to shop around a bit, but I'd suggest that you steer clear of dry cleaners that do tailoring on the side. When you buy clothes from a men's clothing store, ask them to recommend a tailor; that would be a good way to find prospects. Sometimes its good to have the store's preferred tailor do the work, especially when it's included in the purchase price (which is...
Rather than the specifics, I'll suggest two pieces of advice that I wish I had been given long ago.   1. Don't think of buying a jacket, or a tie, or a pair of shoes, or a shirt, or anything, without thinking of how it will fit in an ensemble with clothes you already own, or plan to buy soon. I've bought way too many ties and shirts that just didn't go with anything. Think in terms of combinations, and if you're just starting, try to think of multiple combinations....
  Horse Badorties would agree with that.
I agree with everyone who has given up on garment bags for air travel. But I also note dirkweem's exception about laying one flat in a car trunk. That's where I still use a garment bag: when I'm traveling by car. The back cargo area is quite flat, and I lay the bag flat. Then I bring it into the hotel or other guest accomodation, and hang it up. But for air travel, I used a big rolling suitcase, pack it carefully, and check it. I keep liquids out of my suit-case, but I...
Nonsense. The salesmen get a good look at my chest, and the rest of my physique, and many of them get out the tape and take measurements. I'm asking salesmen who are looking at me, standing in the same room, next to me while I'm wearing a jacket, to evaluate it accurately.   I'm not asking for SF members to judge the fit. Did I give that impresssion? I understand that many SF members need to have their choices validated by having other members judge them, and that's...
I understand that they want to sell what they have. But when they tell me it fits perfectly, even when it fits like a circus tent and I show them how there's a six-inch gap between the jacket and my stomach, well, there's no excuse for that. Maybe some of you are used to being told what fit you like, but I have a pretty well refined opinion of what looks good on me. A sales pitch isn't likely to change that. I'd have lot more respect for a salesman who told me he had...
I don't like shoulder pads that are substantially wider that my actual shoulders. A small overhang is OK, but batwings over a big divot are something I don't want to wear. And I like to be able to lift my arms up to my sides without the shoulders popping up like Himalayas, which generally means high/small armholes. Also, I really like a jacket to fit properly in both the chest and the waist. Obviously, if it's close, it can be altered to fit properly, but the fit has to...