or Connect

Posts by Mbogo

Some random thoughts from someone who has bought and sold a couple dozen of my own cars, and also sold cars at a dealer for a short while: I, too, would recommend against against a VW. They are nice cars, but can be expensive to maintain. In order of reliability, I rate them: Toyota, Honda, then a bit of a jump down to Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, Suburu, then a another jump to Ford, Kia, and VW which are still pretty good. GM is second-worse only to Dodge. Don't assume that...
We went last May, and the trail was closed between two of the towns, but we hiked (more strolled, for Americans) along the trail between a couple of the towns, as far as we could. We loved it, but I was with my young family, so we have much different priorities than many. Quiet and simple, but with great food and wine. We had our pick of a lot of private apartments we saw on VRBO, and loved the small, simple place we rented in Corniglia. I would recommend staying at...
I have a real problem finding good shoes in my size- 13 EEEE. Alden Indys are nice, but I've never been comfortable walking in them for long periods. I need more traction and cushioning. I recently spent a couple weeks in Italy, doing a lot of walking, and these are the shoes I brought: They are my current go-to all-purpose shoes. Not the prettiest shoes around, but the best casual shoes I have found so far that fit me. I didn't feel like I stood out as a gross...
Thanks for the replies. I got the impression that a European mattress sort of combines the construction of a typical American mattress and box spring into one single mattress. I know none of the beds we slept on in Italy had separate box springs. But they did all have the same very firm but comfortable feel. I'm pretty sure they were all traditional construction, not foam. I also believed that a traditional American mattress sans box spring is not the same as a European...
Just got back from a couple weeks in Italy. Stayed in 3 different places, and all of them had fantastic mattresses. My back (which gives me a little trouble from time to time) felt the best it has in a couple years. I've experienced this in Europe before. It seems these mattresses are only a single thickness, without a separate box spring, and they tend to be pretty firm. We're getting a bit sick of our memory foam bed, haven't had really good luck with traditional...
I camp a lot by car and boat, and enjoy having a comfortable setup. If you're not backpacking, you can get much cheaper, low-tech equipment. IMO, a comfortable air mattress is the most important thing for making it a great experience. I have a Thermarest ($$) that I use when I need to travel light, but you can't beat a thick, cheap Coleman twin size air bed from Wally World for sheer cush. Unfortunately, they're not very durable, and seem to leak after a few years. You'll...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really looking for hip or lively night life, since we will be traveling with our young children. I actually found an apartment to rent near the Vatican that looks like it's in a nice neighborhood, so I'll hope for the best. Any other suggestions on must-see stuff, let me know. Thanks! David
That looks like a nice place, but it's 3 times what I was hoping to spend. I've started looking at some apartments to rent through VRBO, too, and that might be an option. Any other suggestions appreciated. David
My small family and I will be spending a few days in Rome, and we are trying to figure out where to stay. The various guide books seem to say great things about every neighborhood, so it's kind of difficult to get an idea of the real flavor of an area. Here's what we're after. We are planning to see two or three of the major sites, and are leaning toward the Coliseum, St. Peter's, and maybe one other must-see. We're not people who feel we have to cram in every tourist...
That's a pretty sweet setup, with that empty lot next door. New next-door neighbors are always a roll of the dice. I would err on the side of being left alone. But it wouldn't hurt to chat with your other neighbors, and let them know that additional space is a big deal to you, and part of what made your original purchase attractive in the first place. That you can understand why they might want to sell, but hope they understand that you aren't just trying to be a dick...