or Connect

Posts by radiocures

Hey, gang. Can anyone tell me the difference in quality between Modern Tailor's entry level suit fabrics and the higher price points? From reviews here, I know what to expect on the cheap fabrics, but I've found little on the more expensive ones. Is the difference comparable to, say, the different JAB lines? For whatever reason, swatches aren't available to order, so any info is appreciated.
I have a new Thick As Thieves navy blazer that has never been worn other than trying on.  Dry cleaned once.   Fabric is the navy nailhead seen here:  http://thickasthievesfabric.blogspot.com/2010/04/springsummer-2010-nailheads.html.  Style is conservative/traditional with the following features:   Light shoulder padding Single vent Two flap pockets Two button   Measurements of the actual coat are as follows:   Chest:  18" Waist:...
Hi, gang.  Newbie here who could use a bit of advice on the jacket below.   A few things I noticed that don't need repeating (unless I'm wrong):   -Sleeves are too short -Jacket needs to be ~1" longer -Jacket waist is a little tight   What else should be different about this jacket for it to fit better?  Why are there creases on the upper part of the sleeve?  Or the indentation below my right shoulder in the front view?  (Chest too narrow?)   Thanks...
  I found them at a small, locally owned shop in Arkansas.   GBR - Thanks for the skeptical eye.  I've been scouring the web for reviews, but I can't find any.  I'm keeping it on the list for now, at least until I get to a larger city to try some additional brands.   If I take the plunge, I'll report back.
Is this a senior technical position or senior management?   If it's a technical position like a system analyst, it's probably okay.  If it's a VP or deals with clients, I'd go a little more conservative.  The peak lapels with high gorges doesn't seem to fit for that situation, and I'd go with a simpler, more traditional shirt.
What are you interviewing for?  What industry?  Location?  What level (entry, management, etc.)?
There is a thread with lots of information about how clothing should fit:  http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions.  They describe it better than I ever could, but you want to make sure the sleeves are an appropriate length and that it doesn't have a lot of excess fabric flapping around everywhere.   If you can find shirts that fit well off the rack, I'd avoid custom or made to measure (MTM) shirts.  MTM is going...
Since you're just starting out and are on a budget, my recommendation is to go for versatility.  Solid white and blue dress shirts, navy blazer, dark brown oxfords, charcoal wool slacks - these types of items can be worn in many settings and many combinations.  It will make your wardrobe feel larger than it is and provide a good foundation.   Two pairs of quality oxfords will seriously strain your current budget.  If I were you, I'd get one pair of dark brown Allen...
What fabric is this? Looks nice.
  Some of the slimmer 36R jackets will work in the shoulders/chest, but I've yet to find one with a long enough jacket.  The fact that the slimmer cuts seem to have shorter jackets as an intentional fashion statement makes it more difficult.  Same story with 35R, on the rare chance I see one.  SuitSupply 35R in some cuts would probably work except that the jackets are too short.   I'd like to have at least some jackets in a bit more conservative cut, which I think I'd...