or Connect

Posts by trlhtn

Filson was reluctant to tell me who their bridle leather supplier was when I first picked up my 70252. Ironically, like you said, it was boldly shown on W&C's website. 
I remember watching a cool hunting video with the "new" owner of Filson where he mentions that Filson has been with the same leather company for the past 20 years. So either the change has been recent or maybe Filson has been purchasing a different type of leather. You would think that the formula for creating bridle leather wouldn't change so often.... http://www.filson.com/filson-life/2013/06/made-in-seattle-cool-hunting-tours-our-new-factory/
I was noticing this change to, but I think it may just be an incorrect description as some of their other bridle leather items still have vegetable tanned mentioned. Either Filson has changed suppliers or Wickett and Craig has changed their formula for bridle leather.   http://www.filson.com/products/leather-outfitter-wallet.65200.html
Will try to find a ruler and report back. 
Not really necessary. Anyone just by touching could feel the difference. You can kind of see in the picture that I am holding both briefcase flaps with a finger and how much the thinner leather is folding while the black briefcase's leather is maintaining its shape. I guess this is what happens when you maintain the same price, but try to make a little more by cheapening the raw materials. 
 Leather is usually ordered in specific thicknesses, I doubt filson is splitting hides on their own. 
I really didn't believe that Filson was cheapening their main luggage line, but unfortunately I can see the proof today first hand. A few pages back you can see that Filson agreed to replace my 3 month old 70252 cause the leather was cracking-- fast forward to today when i received my replacement. I'm frankly shocked how flimsy and thin the leather is on this thing. Clearly Filson has kept the price but seriously cut down on their leather's quality. Was really disappointed...
 Care to elaborate on the issue on whether Filson actually uses true bridle leather?
Thanks for the pictures and reply. I did end up sending the bag in and Filson will be replacing it. I also have a black field satchel that is wearing beautifully which is why I was concerned about the leather on mine. I am assuming the retailer who I bought it from must have stored it improperly leading to the leather being "dried" out. But either way, Filson's customer service department was able to assist me and was wonderful. 
Have a question here about my current 70252. I have quite a few Filson pieces both with bridle leather and without and have noticed the leather starting to crease/crack and showing parts of the leather under the coloring. I acknowledge that leather is a natural material and there alway will be some marks that can't be avoided. I have other high end leather goods and know what to expect, but have not seen marks like this especially on a briefcase thats been sparingly used...