or Connect

Posts by pelagicus

Does anyone have any information about these shoes, or other lower-end RL offerings?   Thanks!   http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13315473
From a Vanity Fair article on Obama   “You’ll see I wear only gray or blue suits,” he said. “I’m trying to pare down decisions. I don’t want to make decisions about what I’m eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make.”  He mentioned research that shows the simple act of making decisions degrades one’s ability to make further decisions. It’s why shopping is so exhausting. “You need to focus your decision-making energy. You need to routinize...
I've been looking for something similar, myself.  Trickers also has a scotch-grain plain-toe derby, as does Alden, with danite and crepe soles, respectively.   Trickers:  http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/2474.php   Alden:  http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane6_947.htm
Thanks, A tailor, I really appreciate the feedback.  Off I go then for the alterations.  It's interesting, I'm having a hard time getting them to 'do enough' - the right shoulder has been padded, the jacket sleeves shortened, and the pants let out, and shortened twice already.  But better too little than too much I suppose.   When you said to let out the right hip, I don't quite understand - is that the jacket or the trousers, and just so I understand and can...
Hello Tailors and members!  Many thanks for sharing your knowledge here.   This is my first suit, which I just purchased.  I am pretty darn new to tailored clothing, and I know I could use some feedback on the fit.  I will wear this suit, with a different shirt (white, currently being altered) for my upcoming wedding and I hope to obtain the best fit that I reasonably can.   So far I see that the sleeve length may need adjusting (will see for sure after I get the...
Thanks for the comments!  About what would one generally expect to pay to shorten a sleeve from the shoulder?   Seems like people seem to be feeling that among good options, a more modern cut is the way to go?
I appreciate the recommendation - I checked, and the suitsupply jacket sleeves are too long for me - I have somewhat shorter limbs and a longer torso.  I wish they had an option to not get the working buttonholes.   There's the Benjamin Sartorial and the Kent Wang options too, but I'll miss the BB sale if I take the time to order those and try the fit - still considering it for sure.
Synopsis:  One suit - lean traditional or lean fashionable?   First-time suit buyer here. I'm just looking for advice on cut, for a one-suit man.  My wedding is coming up this fall.   It's a relatively informal outdoor event, and before people point me towards morning dress or something, let me say that I'm set on a simple charcoal suit, and I think it will fit the day perfectly and be useful to me in the future.  I'm someone who rarely needs to wear a suit, and...
Wool insulates when wet, cotton does not, this can be very important in the outdoors, pick what you need for what you plan to do.
I think you're on the right track.   Though you don't list them, you mention similar boots, so I thought I'd add that I thought that my Epaulet x Thorogood horeshide boots might take a little abuse, but that bike commuting gouged them up fast.   Might check with owners of whatever boot about how well they hold up to an actual work - I'd be curious about the answer.