Posts by Caustic Man

@Hal Freeman, I don't know if you are soliciting advice any longer, but that is really hideous. The advice on this thread has seemingly been nonexistent lately, but I think there is merit in keeping it from turning into a simple showcase for #menswear. The shirt is bad and the suit is worse. I suppose the tie is fairly redeemable, but you have somehow managed to mangle the knot. Three patterns is clearly beyond you at this point, but that's ok. You have started out like so...
I've never met anyone who actually uses them. I wear OCBD almost exclusively, so of course I never use them. Maybe they are something like tie bars, an affectation of the pseudo dandy.
Yes, I thought the KW lapel was very reasonable. I considered that jacket myself, but I already have one very similar to it. Great value though.
 It's an essay by Allan Watts. 
This shit's like the circle of life. A person starts out looking incongruent, badly fitted, and in questionable taste. Exposure to this thread (and others) can help a person move toward something approximating good taste. With practice and effort pattern matching, textures, and formality can be mastered, as well as the finer points of fit. After this is done a person revels in their accomplishments and dresses in the revered "middle class" idea of good taste for a while,...
Van Veen, that's an interesting idea. I'd say overall it's true that there is no popular snapshot of Southern trad, but there are ways of determining it in a general sense. I haven't directed my time and resources to looking into it yet, but maybe I will sometime. As for hobbyists, who obsess about what is "Ivy" and what is not, you are spot on. One need only look at the online discussions about it. A picture of posted on one group of two young men on campus presumably in...
Who is asking those questions anymore? Very few, at least compared to what it used to be.
Same things happened to a pair of Randolph loafers I have. Weirdest thing. None of my AEs have done that before. Next time I get the lexol out I will see what happens. If it doesn't work I'll just call it "character" and move on.
Going with the tweed theme. Vintage BB jacket, Kamakura shirt, Lands End trousers, and my favorite "club" tie.      Allen Edmonds  
Interesting idea, but I'd think not. These are people who would have been alright during the Depression. I believe it's more a sense of "It doesn't matter what my shoes look like, you'll show me respect anyway."   On the other hand, several commenters, including Paul Fussell, note some odd similarities between upper and lower classes. The tendency to never throw things away, the devil-may-care attitude about appearances, and the complete security in their social place....