or Connect

Posts by Caustic Man

Here is an interesting article written by one of Ivy Style's elder statesmen on the "Boston Cracked Shoe."    This is an interesting quote: "The junior members of a firm that were striving to climb the corporate ladder would keep their shoes well repaired and shined every day. But the guys with the Boston Cracked Shoe look didn’t worry about something like this, because they not only had climbed the ladder, they owned it."   I've seen some interesting pictures of young...
You rightly mention the shoe shine thing as perhaps a little gray. I blame my afor mentioned military background for my tendency to shine my shoes well. I've always kind of admired the ones who boldly wear shabby shoes, though.
I think in some cases the affectations on SF would be easily recognized by the public.. I don't mean to call anyone out, but I suppose I must give some examples. The people who unbutton the second cuff button on their jacket sleeves (not an easy thing to do, btw), or even the first button. The people who give their shoes a mirror shine ( something I occasionally do). In other cases I think you are right. Perfectly pressed trousers, or immaculately tied ties might not set...
I agree with you, MWS, with the caveat that if SF espouses restraint many of the members ( including, at times, myself) fail to embody that. Affectation is very strong among even the senior members.
That's a good way of looking st it. Just wait till summer, though. I'll completely contradict myself.
I find myself continually moving away from anything remotely interesting when I dress. Soporific, steady, consistent. Boring?  
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. Overall I think his point is solid, save for that one error.
Interesting piece. I notice a few differences between Europe and America as this writer describes it. In the US I would say that plain shirts are de rigeur. Replace the coat of arms pinky ring with a school ring in the US. The emphasis on the old and worn is the same. Polishing shoes isn perhaps less important in the US. Generally speaking of course. I always feel weird about generalizing like this, but I do it often.
I agree with Held. I like that fit. It has a boxy American look to it. Very retro, very cool.
I think it's kind of like being a military man. For those who are in-the-know it's not hard to spot a fake who threw on a surplus uniform.    The problem for people trying to imitate an upper class look is that there is a massive disconnect between what people think uppers dress like and what they actually (IME) dress like. Immaculate clothing, perfectly coordinated patterns, textures, etc. are a middle class affectation. Indeed, the vast majority of people on SF (myself...