or Connect

Posts by Caustic Man

Yes, but Brummell died penniless and alone. 
I just wear it. The whole after six "rule" is simply to convey that black tie is meant to be worn in the evening. It's not like people will be checking their stopwatches.   Of course, it depends on what you mean by "well" before 6. If we're talking about noon, then I'd probably not wear it just to avoid being stuck in it all day. If it's like 4pm then it's reasonable to wear it.
 This is true in some cases but not generally I think. Of course this is only based on my personal experience but being a wine conscious person I've seen stuff that commands a good price in the U.S. sell for significantly less in Europe. Does it happen that some wines go for more in their country of origin than overseas? I'm sure it does, but I'm not sure how common it is. I remember a few years back some of our friends from U.K. would talk about hopping over the channel...
Might be a simple mixup in terminology.
As a suit, I don't care for any of them.
Gotcha. I agree, there are places where you can get imported wine at lesser prices, especially if they specialize. However you still aren't getting it for close to the price you would in Europe. There are simply too many comparable domestic (California) wines for less because they don't have to pay for what importers do to get it here. But hey, maybe you just like European wines better. Nothing wrong with that.
 I don't think it's that difficult. Sure, personal taste has a part in it, but it's easy to figure out how much imported wines are marked up for overseas customers. When I say that I mean aside from the usual price increases for shipping, etc. The availability of European wines wasn't what I was talking about.
Srsly? You and I must look at wine in very different ways. I think for residents of the U.S. California wines often present a great value. Many good bottles are priced reasonably and there is a wide variety. I've seen California wines priced outrageously overseas, but I imagine that has more to do with tariffs imposed by those countries than anything. AUS wines have often presented a good value as well. As for old world wines I can't imagine how you could see them...
I think it's hard to define California wine as any one thing in particular these days. Sure, in the past it was known for its big reds and bold chardonnays, and of course those are still there, however there is just so much variety. If you are looking for more complexity, you might try some Paso Robles Zinfandels and Pinots if you haven't already.
 As well you should. Some amazing stuff has come out of AUS in the last decade plus. I consider AUS to be kind of like where California was in the 80s, except perhaps more subtle. We Californians are born into wine culture and are often loathe to admit that anyone does wine as well as us (even the French), but there are some Australians that I must say can compete with any in the world.