Posts by Caustic Man

I think in some cases the affectations on SF would be easily recognized by the public.. I don't mean to call anyone out, but I suppose I must give some examples. The people who unbutton the second cuff button on their jacket sleeves (not an easy thing to do, btw), or even the first button. The people who give their shoes a mirror shine ( something I occasionally do). In other cases I think you are right. Perfectly pressed trousers, or immaculately tied ties might not set...
I agree with you, MWS, with the caveat that if SF espouses restraint many of the members ( including, at times, myself) fail to embody that. Affectation is very strong among even the senior members.
That's a good way of looking st it. Just wait till summer, though. I'll completely contradict myself.
I find myself continually moving away from anything remotely interesting when I dress. Soporific, steady, consistent. Boring?  
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. Overall I think his point is solid, save for that one error.
Interesting piece. I notice a few differences between Europe and America as this writer describes it. In the US I would say that plain shirts are de rigeur. Replace the coat of arms pinky ring with a school ring in the US. The emphasis on the old and worn is the same. Polishing shoes isn perhaps less important in the US. Generally speaking of course. I always feel weird about generalizing like this, but I do it often.
I agree with Held. I like that fit. It has a boxy American look to it. Very retro, very cool.
I think it's kind of like being a military man. For those who are in-the-know it's not hard to spot a fake who threw on a surplus uniform.    The problem for people trying to imitate an upper class look is that there is a massive disconnect between what people think uppers dress like and what they actually (IME) dress like. Immaculate clothing, perfectly coordinated patterns, textures, etc. are a middle class affectation. Indeed, the vast majority of people on SF (myself...
Call it selection bias, but I randomly ran across this comment on Facebook. The conversation had nothing to do with what we were discussing, but the subject of whether Ivy is just a style or is something more came up   "Ivy, Preppy, Trad, whatever you want to call it, is definitely not just a style of clothing, but a style of living that includes certain elements. This lifestyle existed quietly for generations without people from the "outside" noticing it. The...
I thought you had splattered paint on yourself when I saw this pic on instagram. I had a loved old pair of 501s that I lost in a move. They may be the perfect pair of jeans.