or Connect

Posts by Caustic Man

It wouldn't surprise me if there were serious cultural changes that went on in the department after 9/11. I had no exposure to them prior. However, what I can say with a degree of certainty is that ambassadors are too diverse to fall into any one sartorial category, and the diffuse and independent nature of many postings means that the central culture isn't as strong as it might be in other institutions. At least when it comes to clothes.
 The section on the State Department is wrong. I know that much. Bremer might have been a devotee of Trad, but I was on details for three ambassadors to Iraq and none of them could be said to have any semblance of a "style".
 Thank you.
Srsly? A good polish and you'd hardly notice that itty bitty scratch.
My vote goes to Held, because it's criminal that he didn't get any.
Fall-ish in Chi-town, too.    
Badass, dude.
Nice look. What trousers did you wear? Perfect opportunity for navy trews IMO.
You aren't understanding. Bad weather wouldn't have wiped out millions of Chinese before industrialization either. That's the whole point. If you can't understand that I don't know what else to say, other than the fact that your argument wouldn't pass muster in an academic setting. It doesn't mean you are wrong, it just means your argument doesn't support your claim.
 Maybe, but that famine wouldn't have happened if they hadn't tried to become the world's factory. Do you see the problem here? You can make the argument that "conditions" in China are better today than they were before the Great Leap, whatever that means, but using the example of a famine that was created largely by industrialization itself to justify that claim makes no sense. It's just a failure to structure an argument in a cogent way. That kind of failure makes your...