or Connect

Posts by Caustic Man

Generally speaking, yes. For instance, wearing a business appropriate necktie with a dinner jacket doesn't casualize the dinner jacket, it's just incongruent. I think you can categorize accessories such as shirts, shoes, and ties much more than you might think. This isn't to say that there aren't exceptions, but I think they would be relatively few.
I suppose it might be helpful to illustrate my way of thinking on the issue of formality. To my mind I think you can make a very good argument that there are only 5 levels of formality modes of dress:   Formal: White tie and morning dress, now includes the dinner jacket. Semi-Formal: Stroller (formerly included the dinner jacket). Informal: Most business appropriate suits. Casual: Casual suits, sport coats, and trousers. Leisure: Athletic and streetwear.   These...
  I use it in only one way.
I don't think it really qualifies as a myth either because you can make a legitimate argument that open lacings are a feature that leans on the casual side, and because of that it would be reasonable for someone to prefer not to wear them with suits. If you want you can classify it as personal preference at the very least. However, the issues raised in the OP are objective facts. Your point about a wide gulf is well taken, however there is undeniably a divide. When it...
 Kind of like how there was no particular (edible?) Nordic cuisine until fairly recently?
That's a relatively minor point in the argument I was making. Indeed, for the moment I'll concede it. Regardless, it doesn't affect the argument against black shoes always being more formal than brown shoes.
FWIW, short stubby vents were actually a thing in the 50s and 60s. Shorter than the ones on your jacket, even. I used to have a vintage sport coat from the late 50s and the vents on it must have been around 4 inches.
Yup, I agree with this entirely.    This thread, of course, isn't about rules, per se. It's about indefensible presumptions. The examples I gave in the OP aren't rules in any sense, just misapprehensions and bad assumptions.
You know, there is something about rules for clothing that is so vulgar. By that I mean that it smacks of people who come from backgrounds that need rules because, by god, they didn't grow up naturally with the requisite knowledge. I don't mean this to put anyone down, everyone can learn something they didn't yet know. But when someone propounds rules so vehemently, and abides by them with equal zealotry, claiming that they are a universal truth, it is very "Prole" indeed....