or Connect

Posts by Alpina

If it's just shoe trees, or anything else they definitely have in stock, I'd say do it.   But in my "transaction" for their "limited edition" aldens, they were a bunch of hot air that turned downright deceptive.  After 10 months I was pulling my hair out, and had to get a refund for shoes that arrived (wrong size) many months after a "six weeks, confirmed" assurance.  AFter I returned them , they told me they had sold the pair I had actually ordered.  Refund was initially...
 They would have to offer that card somewhere in the range of, say, $12 to get me back to the NRO table.   >shudder<  What an awful experience that was.
  Indeed--thanks gents.  Though a bit more limited style-wise, they do look daintier.  I'd love to see them in person.  Next NY trip...
Right — I remember my search did come up with others, but I thought Carmina had a nice feminine touch for shoes with traditional roots.  And, sorry to hijack — I go nowhere else where I can share such things.  
My wife spends a lot on shoes, and she appreciates that what I buy is carefully considered and basically for life.  I went on a search for women's goodyear welted shoes, and only came up with Carmina.  I have picked up three pairs for her, and the quality of build (stitch vs glue) is far beyond the Italian mules she usually wears.  I buy them with loving generosity, for sure, but I don't kid myself that they don't reinforce the habit for both of us.   [[SPOILER]]
 I'm expecting recrafted 975s back from B Nelson any time now.   I assumed the original black welt would remain, but Nick emailed me to confirm what color edging and welt I wanted.  I'd be thrilled if he replaced the welt as well...we'll see.  I will post pics when they arrive.
Thanks.  Leffot, as you learned.  I am waiting for the their naval boots as well, and seriously debated whether to pass on these, thinking they were too closely related.  Once these arrived, there was no debate.  I chose....wisely.   A sidebar re: Leffot.  I really like a lot of the shoes that come round on this thread, obviously.  But something about Leffot's makeups really grab me.  When they offered the Day Tripper, that was the first time I said I have to have those....
First day out with new #8 Dovers.  Unlined 9Ds feel pretty close to my old 975s in 9C.  Very comfortable right out of the box.     Looks like the beginning of great friendship....    
   Yes--that helps a lot. The 270/260 refers to the stitching only--not the actual welt.  This photo shows it clearly.  And now that I know what I am looking for, I can see it in the J Crew shot as well.   Another difference I just noticed is the stitching along the eye stay--on the J Crew version, it continues to the back of the boot, and Leffot's ends at the vamp.  Amazing--given the relatively small range of base styles, the small details create a dizzying number of...
  Then my understanding of welts is off.  I don't see the difference between J Crew's and Leffot's welts here (what I thought was a flat welt).  And I'd call the Indy's welt a 270 and the 975's a 360/storm welt.