or Connect

Posts by Aces and Eights

Thanks Ed - missed it last night but caught it this morning on 'youtube'

I had been watching for a few weeks and I was surprised at the range of prices especially considering it was only 3 and a tanner when new!!
This book was doing the rounds in our class in around 1966 / 67 and I remember a your radical English teacher reading extracts from it.  I never forgot the title. And after all these years I managed to purchased an old copy earlier this year from Ebay for around £20.  Memories came flooding back. If no one has ever read this book it is made up of chapters or paragraphs of interviews of the youth of the mid 60s from across the board of different classes taking their views...
Good photo M-O-M.  I remember writing when I first joined about having MTM Tonik strides made with all our extra bits and bobs - metal expanders etc and when I got them the tailor had put in pleats but they turned out good and acceptable.  The pleats were as in the picture.  I still think the front money pocket looks smart and the rear one would match with a flap in proportion.  I agree with Colin the length is about right.  We liked to look smart and suits and trousers...
Very interesting Ed - time to do some research
Hello Ed Just returned from hols and catching up.  Happy birthday - I also turned the 60 mark last week.  No fireworks just same s--t but on a different day Your contributions to this thread have always been intelligent and witty and I am sure with that in mind you will achieve your goal. 'A man is not judged by how many times he falls down but how may times he gets up'  or something like that A happy belated birthday to you mate
 Colin I would say you have captured it in your response.  I was 16 when I had 2 Mohair suits made.  I have not had mtm since.  In the day it was a 'must have' to have suits made to fit you as previously with Mods and Teds.  As teenagers back then work was not an issue and you could always earn well.  Clothes were very important.  It was not that you particularly had lots of gear like todays youngsters that can buys loads for £100 from Matalan etc.  Ours had to be quality...
I bought xxl and was pleasantly surprised that they were a generous cut.  No rear pleat but I was not looking to replicate a Ben Sherman - these are ok and for £13 they are good value.