or Connect

Posts by Benjols

What's wrong with a paisley tie? I totally dig the paisley.   ...I could only dream of her wearing a gingham dress.
Thank you all for the help! Especially with ideas that, in retrospect, were awful. I really appreciate it.   I think I've settled on black suit, white shirt and a burgundy/maroonish/pupleish paisley that has gold accents on the paisley.
I thought about quoting you all, but it'd be an ordeal...so anyway   You've convinced me on the white shirt. I'll gladly take your advice on this one. Thank you for saving me from the contrast collar and whatnot.   So, if I have a black suit, white shirt, what time do I go with? Gold seems a little pale by itself. I do rather like the striped "frat boy" tie I linked to earlier that was black and gold. That way I have some sort of connection to her dress. Anything...
I apologize if my ideas are offending you in any way! I'm just thinking out loud.   I feel like a white shirt will look boring though. Will a black suit, gold tie (I do like paisley regardless), and plain white shirt look too simple? Also would an off-white shirt be a better option if her dress is mostly off-white?     I like gingham a bit more than checked for prom, but I would love checked too. Of course, I see myself running into similar problems with a checked...
Appreciate the honesty. Okay, so I may be willing to venture outside of the gingham despite absolutely loving it. I agree the black/white gingham isn't very flexible or appealing (it'd be wonderful if I could wear another color, but I can't...).   What are your opinions on bankers collars/contrast collars? I would rather not settle on a plain white shirt, although I may have to. I particularly like white shirts with black collars. Then I could go with a gold tie?...
I've never looked at those Eric Glennie ties before. Certainly interesting, although not the look I'm going for for prom. Definitely going to save it mentally for a future occasion though.   Here's an example of a solid gold tie I'd be looking at (following a 3 second Google search): http://www.krisarclothing.com/Image.aspx?URL=http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/53000755/images/va0116-xstie.jpg   I feel like this would look odd over a black/white gingham, but...
My initial thought was a solid gold skinny tie over the black/white gingham, but I thought that it looked a little off. I'm not so sure now (panicky indecisiveness setting in).   I like the neutral tie with the pocket square for accent/matching. Would a solid black tie over the gingham be too much black? Then I'd throw in a gold pocket square to somewhat match.   I guess I'm hesitant to wear a plain white shirt because most of the evening I'll be without my...
For prom, I need help matching my outfit to my date's dress.   She's wearing an off white dress with gold and silver accents.   I'm wearing a slim fit black suit (yes, black) with...well, I'm not sure. I love the casual look of a gingham shirt and have sort-of had my heart set on wearing one, but I'm finding a black suit would require a black shirt since her dress doesn't have purple, pink, blue, red, etc. in it. Matching a tie to a black gingham shirt is an...