or Connect

Posts by bnovc

Maybe I should just give it a shot with a shirt measured one, although if I get to $100 I'd rather just use SPoon Tailor, who I know will be good.   The shirts I've gotten are all cotton, and ironing doesn't fix them. I think it's because the fabric is so thin that it just bunches up. It isn't really a wrinkle, it's just a wrinkly looking effect all the time. Difficult to describe.
Does anyone know of any books/articles/threads about the psychology of attractiveness of different clothing? e.g. why do we prefer suits (I've heard because of the "V" shape), ties, certain color patterns, etc.   These kind of studies are done for other similar topics like posture, smiling, etc., but I haven't found anything for clothing.
That's what's frustrating the most: I see other people getting good results. I'm confident that I put in accurate measurements, and yet the shirts aren't right. I could keep tweaking them slowly, but at $50+ per iteration, that's a slow and ineffective method.   How do you go about determining which fabrics to choose? I'm wearing the Purple Gingham / T346 (with a sweater) right now, and I'm pretty dissatisfied with it. The chest looks "wrinkly" (I wish I knew how to...
I understand that, but what I am saying is that there should be a different thread for each question.   How do you go about finding replies to your posts? I look at the few posts after my own, and if it's been a while, I search for my name to see if I miss anything. This seems very inefficient versus having a threaded discussion.   Even better would be to use a tree-like posting system where you can expand off of any given discussion (e.g. like Thunderbird displays...
I read SF fairly often, but I don't post very often, partially because I find it time consuming to find replies to what I write.   I'm curious what the rationale is behind having so many large on-going threads rather than having separate sub-sections for them? e.g. this thread being a sub-section of Classic Menswear. That would have the advantage of being able to easily skip content that you don't care about and being able to see all of the replies to your specific...
I've ordered three shirts total from ModernTailor, and I haven't been very pleased with any of them. I only consider them wearable under jackets or sweaters because they are so baggy around my waist, and they're all thin and somewhat wrinkly looking.   I would love to be able to order more from MT, because they have a great selection, but it isn't worth the risk to do it again.   It would be really nice if they had a cheaper way to send you a shirt with really...
I have a few shirts from them, and they suffer from the same problem (and other problems) where the waist is a lot baggier, despite my giving them my measurements.   The fabric has been really flimsy. It looks wrinkly even after I iron it. They don't seem to use the measurements I give them, and they don't speak English well enough to discuss them after.   I'm hopeful that the shirt being made at http://www.yelp.com/biz/spoon-tailor-san-francisco right now turns out better.
My problem/concern is that I am wider around my chest than around my waist. I would assume this is the case with most people? e.g. the BB extra slim fit is perfect around my chest, but it is baggy around my waist. Is this only remedied by darting or could it have been made differently?
Is it possible to have a shirt be smaller in the waist than the chest without benig darted? I was talking with a guy at Spoon Tailor recently when ordering a shirt there for the first time, and he suggested I get my shirts darted.   e.g. The Brooks Brothers extra slim fit fit me quite well, except that they are a bit baggy around my waist. Is this unavoidable when constructing the shirt without having the side seams go diagonally/not straight down from under the...
I bought a new pair of pants (Banana Republic) and socks (JCrew), and I attempted to get a less boring picture than I had in the past. Unfortunately my wife wanted to leave to dinner and was not interested in my teaching her to use my camera for it, so it came out a bit blurry:         Since my last post, I also wore this (not casual, but oh well):