or Connect

Posts by TheEdwardian

Did a quick search and could find anything These: http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/ketch-saddle-brown.html They have a few quid off at the moment, and are anyway cheaper than Sperry's or Sebago. Does anyone have any pics in the wild, or comments as to fit/quality or knwo who makes them? Cheers
Just because no one else has replied... You will get no love here for suit matching because of a) composite sole, and b) open lacing. In real world-terms: yes, if you polish them up, they would actually look fine. This is attested by schoolchildren all over the UK for the last 30 years, fluctuating with the vagaries of fashion. Unless I've missed something, DMs are still a solid product, the leather will come up well with a bit of a shine, and the 'bootiness' will be well...
Like Holdfast, I'm an Oxford man, but I can speak to the Cambridge Ede & Ravencroft. Much bigger than ours and better stocked. The product is excellent , and if they are like their colleagues in the other branches, they will be the soul of hospitality and fonts of knowledge. An anecdote: I bought my first 'proper' suit in the Cambridge Ede about a decade ago. My grandmother had just died, and I thought one of the better ways to show respect was to be properly attired...
Quote: Originally Posted by Despos Converting reverse to regular pleats is a different issue than removing pleats, what you are saying about removing pleats is not true. If it doesn't violate the tailors' code, I would be interested to hear from one of our most respected members what the feasibility of the various forms of pleat conversion are, and the relative costs ought to be. Can't say i'd do it myself; I'm far to risk averse to spend a...
I wear mine exactly as I wear my suit trousers - high waist, braces, minimal break. Cuffs are always wrong on formal trousers, whatever your normal preference. Obviously precise tightness/looseness is a balance of your own prefered style, and what looks right with the fit of the coat. It's it's very clean and has lots of waist supression, the trousers probably shouldn't fit like oxford bags. A more casual drapey coat probably wouldn't benefit from thigh hugging trousers....
Just received an email from my father who is in Oz for a family wedding Quote: "Wedding has come and gone, somewhat sadly my £45 quid suit made me the best dressed attendee, also got best shirt and tie award from very drunken groomsmen - when I flashed the socks it may have been a step too far." He was wearing a plastic suit of generically innofensive styling from Matalan as he intended to wear once and dump it to save luggage allowance on the...
Is it not something to with the angle of cuff cut? My alterations guy (and previously my mum) always cut them with a strong drop to the heel (called a regimental back, I think), so they fall to the top of the shoe heel at the rear and have a half inch break at the front. My tailor says the way to do it is when bestockinged at fitting time, you make the back touch the floor, and pin the front to give your preferred break. It looks clean without looking like you are...
I have seen one or two. Depends how you treat it. It isn't uniform, it's a set of guidelines with some constraints: wear appropriate gown and cap, with white bowtie (nothing more specified, so style and fabric presumably up to wearer) with dark suit (again, no more details specified) and white whirt and white collar (an important warning for those of us with white shirt without a white collar, but style not specified) I was just checking if what I was thinking was truly...
Quote: Originally Posted by Orsini I love Albert slippers, but I am not sure about them for a wedding unless they are the stated dress code, and, of course, captoe with black tie (sniff!) is the work of the devil. Call Nathan at the AE shoe bank. He has Copleys on closeout for $199. That would be a seriously SF wedding. When have you ever seen shoes stated on a dress code? Especially something as esoteric IRL as Alberts? Re. Black calf...
Have a look at Ede and Ravenscroft, especially at sale time. You might go slightly over £500, but you get a second pair of trousers, which might obviate your wear issues. their RTW is very trad british (high, pleated, braced trousers), but still quite clean and sharp in overall effect. [must stop shilling for E&R, but I really love the product]