or Connect

Posts by Jackie Treehorn

Also wanted to add the following, but my iPad is not letting me edit my last post for whatever reason... Fuuma has compared your rhetorical style to Aristotle's. But above all others, I hear E.B. White in your tone. There was a man who obviously knew that he knew better than everybody else (and often he did). But he always blended personal preference with technical rules, presenting them both as if they were the same. Perhaps it speaks volumes, to his credit, that people...
For the most part, I find the Manton school of thought intriguing. It's highly opinionated, though usually well reasoned.   That said, Manton tends to conflate the topics of social-correctness and aesthetics. For instance, when I encounter a sentence that begins with "It's never okay to...," I assume this sentence is about social correctness. "It's never okay to" connotes to "It is incorrect to," or "It is improper to." But in this case, Manton does not appear to be...
I think the more interesting discussion isn't so much "do I believe in The Rules," as it is "Am I a style absolutist or a style relativist?" In other words, do I believe in a universally applicable set of capital-C Correct attire for every situation, regardless of geography, culture, climate, age, or context? Or do I believe that every man should adapt and adopt his own rules to his circumstances? IMO, neither of these options is the "to hell with the rules, I'mma do me!"...
I actually think black linen is a better choice than, say, black worsted. It's a decidedly casual, SW&D choice, whereas black wool on an odd jacket would scream Office IT Guy.
That would probably work, as would Fuuma's suggestion.
True blazers -- the real deal, with the brass buttons and all -- feel like one of those WASPy, to-the-manner-born choices that only seem to look at home on those who've grown up in them. I mean, a good litmus test is this: did your parents drag you to a lot of events, as a kid, in which they dressed you up in a navy blazer? Did you have a club you attended in college or prep school, in which everyone wore blue blazers? Have you ever used the word "regatta" in an earnest,...
With faded black raw denim and vintage CBGB tee. I mean, if you're going to own black, "own" black, IMO. Don't try to fit it into the standard-issue, business-conservative wardrobe as espoused by SF traditionalists. It's more of a Streetwear & Denim choice. It can be done successfully, but it's of a different millieu.
Make sure it's an evening wedding, then. There's nothing more gauche, IMO, than a daytime wedding calling for black tie. I've been to a few recently, and the grouchy, SF-influenced curmudgeon in me wants to assert that tuxes before 6pm are in almost equally poor taste as daywear after 6.W/r/t Manton's inventory, I want to second the motion that tweed be struck from the list for those who just can't justify it in their climates. I live in LA proper, and I can get away with...
This is a good threak, Manton.   That said, the well-dressed man should own a bespoke codpiece, custom-fitted by a master codpiecesman. Its absence from your list is troubling, to say the least. Shall I assume you walk the streets unbecodpieced? I shudder at the thought.
I'm actually sick of getting shit from women at the office for -not- matching."Blue and grey don't match.""You have to wear black socks if you wear black shoes."Etc.Generally speaking, most women have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to men's style. You don't want to dress in a way that is blatantly unappealing to women, but at the same time, totally pandering to their notions of style would have you dressing like a Jersey guido in matching black Armani...