or Connect

Posts by Jackie Treehorn

Can we, though? All available evidence in modern-day society, up to and including on this forum, would seem to indicate the opposite. As M. Corbera puts it in his "Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for the Beginner" thread (a great read, and germane to this thread), very few people here seem to draw such distinctions. Instead, they select random garments based on purely aesthetic criteria, combining willy-nilly items that the "rules" intended should be separated, or...
At the risk of pursuing a fruitless tangent, let me remind us all that, so far at least, we've largely avoided qualifying what the "rules" actually are, or how their purpose has changed over the years. The standard assumption in the OP's logic is that style is a purely aesthetic expression, and that "the rules" are simply aesthetic suggestions -- to be considered, or rejected, depending on the personal tastes of the dresser. To whatever extent this is the case today, it...
I disagree with the assertion that "the only necessary and sufficient condition for style is style itself." The statement is not only tautological, but wilfully reductionist. Whether or not one is cognizant of the choices he's making in aesthetic judgment, he's still making choices. Those choices are not arbitrary. They're also incremental and cumulative. When putting together an ensemble, one has to start somewhere, with some combination of elements. For some, the first...
Before we go about discarding rules in favor of pure, subjective expression, we should consider why the rules exist in the first place, and whether they offer value in the pursuit of our intended expression. Instead of thinking of rules as arbitrary standards to be disregarded, we can think of them as techniques, to be learned before being applied in one direction or another. Note that improvisational jazz musicians are often well versed in music theory. Jackson Pollock...
I used to be painfully shy around women, because I thought they'd only go for guys who were rich, attractive, smart, or funny. Then I realized I was all of those things. True story.
Lately my beard has begun insisting that I dress in a more butch, masculine fashion. She claims that my chunky scarves, tight jeans, and fussy glasses make her job harder than it needs to be.
The phrase "navy blue" could be considered redundant at this point. "Navy" suffices on its own, seeing as how there are no other colors commonly qualified as "navy." There is no navy green, nor a navy red, nor a navy brown. Respectfully, E.B.W.
Awesome stuff. Really looking forward to the seven fold in that brown print.
Up until the OP started posting in German, I was reasonably sure he was somebody's sock. And a wonderful sock, at that. In fact, I may study his collected works here, just to learn a thing or two from an unwitting meister of an ancient and subtle art.
It seems that the fashion world is pivoting away from the skintight look, which is a welcome sight. Extremely close-cut clothing looks good on basically nobody, and, perhaps least of all, the tall and skinny man.