or Connect

Posts by mountainstyle

Before, I would have happily worn plastic square toe Kenneth Cole shoes and aspired to a Hugo Boss suit.   Now, I'm ruined.   In asking for advice on what to wear to my buddy's wedding, I finally learned the difference between a Balmoral(oxford) and a Blucher and that the first is more formal than the second. Hours were spent reading about coordinating without being matchy matchy.   I bought Brooks Brothers navy linen suit for the wedding, and found a pair of...
Thanks for the welcome Brianpore.           I did know that the shoes were likely glued up before I bought them, but given my need for formal black shoes is infrequent, I think they will do just fine. It is a shame about the soles because the leather is quite nice.
I'm speechless about some(most) of these deals. I thought picking up a nearly new pair of Ferragamo studio line cap toe balmorals on ebay for $85 shipped was a deal.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/samuelsohn-cashmere-sportcoat/3244396?id=13825455&largeImg=0&tn=largerview_popup&tname=product     In real life, the jacket is much more pale than in the picture to the point where it sometimes looks beige with a pink cast. I picked it up for $40 and I want to wear it even though I'm discovering that the light colored jacket is a difficult piece to work with. Given that I think that the white shirt and khakis in the picture looks...
@sean anon, in the third picture, the length seems to not quite cover your rear which is what I've always heard is the minimum length. In the first and second pictures, the sleeves come down almost to the bottom of the jacket and they look a little on the short side to me, but then again I'm not expert by any measure.   So, personally, I would say that sc is too short and it needs that extra inch at least.   P.S. nice shoes.
I'm heading to a wedding in SoCal at the end of the month and wearing a blue linen suit. It's an outdoor wedding and more casual and I've got two questions.   I'm going to buy a classic wedding tie, but the choice is between raw silk, linen, or regular woven silk. I'm not sure if the more textured fabrics help or hurt in conjunction with the linen suit and the white cotton shirt.   As for shoes, if my new job comes through before the wedding, I will buy a quality...
@docka, jacket looks good in that picture.
"Is there a way to reduce (or eliminate) the squeaking that comes from the tounge area on calfskin shoes? Would Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner in the affected areas help at all? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!"   I don't have personal experience, but I've read here a number of times that people have had success using talcum powder to quiet their squeaking monkstraps. You might give that a try.
Thanks guys [msulinski, mimo, Subutai] being new to dressing with class, sometimes I need a little help breaking out of the old ways.     Regarding my previous post about black shoes. After much consideration and a few other threads, I finally realized what you were all trying to say. Weddings, funerals, and job interviews demand a more formal shoe. Bluchers and Derbys are more casual. Therefore, buy a Balmoral.   Does it matter whether they are plain toe,...
I will be attending a wedding in Los Angeles CA, at 5pm in late July. I purchased the BB Fitz blue linen suit   http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Linen-Two-Button-Fitzgerald-Fit-Suit/MK00128,default,pd.html?dwvar_MK00128_Color=NAVY&contentpos=4&cgid=0216   I'm undecided on whether to keep it.   The buttons on the suit are dark unlike the bone buttons on the website. Being the Fitzgerald cut, the lapels are more narrow and look very narrow to me, but when I...