or Connect

Posts by seeldoger47

Right - this is exactly why RT is most useful for industry insiders.When I saw this in theaters I immediately thought of Bresson and Dryer, it's that good.
Art, in this case movies, is not constrained to an either/or mentality and defies attempts at quantification. The posters comment about not liking Birdman as much as the 94% score on Rotten Tomatoes is at first confusing, given that it is simply means 94% of all reviews submitted by critics were positive, which makes me think the poster is treating it like a test score. This is problematic for in no way does RT account for intensity (how much a reviewer enjoys a movie) or...
I'm not quite sure what that means but no.
That's not how art works. Also a quick shout out to James Naremore's More Than Night: Film Noir and its Contexts. There is a lot of shoddy film criticism out there, but this book is really superb.
The color of pomogranates and Farewell my concubine are amazing.
This.And this. Those are two of my most favorite films of all time.Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom. One of the most enjoyable experiences I had (while watching an American movie) at the theater in a long time.
No love for Godard's Adie au Langage?
Fincher seems to have a real problem getting the tone right i.e. holding the shot on Rooney Mara's butt a beat too long, Fight Club is supposed to be a satire but it totally does not read like a satire because Tyler Durden is way to seductive of a character.Aronofsky tried to cram all his philosophical/religion ideas into a narrative story, making it really convoluted, when he really should've gone the Tarkovsky route. Also the Criterion Collection is holding its flash sale.
James Agee: Film Writing and Selected Journalism > Agee on Film! If you like Agee's writing check out anything by Susan Sontag, Jonathan Rosenbaum, and Manny Farber.
Under the Skin is one of my most favorite movies ever. I saw it in theaters five times in one week. Huge WA fan, but I thought Blue Jasmine was a very poor man's A Streetcar Named Desire. And for all you Wes Anderson fans, here is a insightful outline of his cinema: [[SPOILER]]