or Connect

Posts by AdamWill

Thanks! I like my tailored stuff conservative, so I'll probably like it.   In case you didn't catch the text - the checked shirt is the one from James. The other two are from a couple of HK tailors, for comparison. (Much cheaper places - the Jantzen shirt cost about $60 equiv, the ones from my regular HK tailor are around $100.)
What's the material? Looks like linen, but is it a blend?
Thanks! Linen came from my tailor, I don't know the bunch (he usually just sends me a selection of swatches after I tell him roughly what I'm looking for). It's listed as 'SW91015' on the swatch sheet. It's from an Italian suppler; my tailor seems to like VBC and Fratelli di Tallia, so it may be from one of those. Cost was HK$4500, last year. It's somewhat less nice now I managed to spill half a pint of beer all over it (and the pants) :( off to the dry cleaners tomorrow...
My husband wears a lot of floral shirts, including with suits. He's a very snazzy dresser though, more of a 'make my own style' kinda guy. I couldn't pull off his stuff at all, but he nails it quite often.   And it's finally spring in Vancouver! Glorious sunny evening, let's break out the summer wear. Jacket is linen (from my HK tailor), shirt is new from a new tailor I'm trying here, James Custom Tailor, pants are Samuelssohn (they're a lightweight navy twill worsted,...
Photo dump time! These kinda came out in reverse order. The James shirt is the small blue/white check. The plain blue is from Jantzen, and the white/blue stripe is from the HK tailor who makes my suits (whose name I'm not posting in public just as I don't want to get involved in the ongoing Best HK Tailors thing). Photos of various stitching details, buttonholes, buttons, and some fit pics of the James shirt. He charges either $5 or $10 extra for these MoP buttons, I...
meanwhile, I interrupt this thread to bring you news of the Greatest Invention In The History Of WAYWRN:   http://istrategylabs.com/2014/04/take-an-instant-selfie-with-this-magical-mirror/
facet: nice. You have any pics of your Modernize suit? Mine is still under construction, first fitting in the next week or so I guess. They work more on Savile Row time than Hong Kong time :P I think I'll be able to have swatches sent from the UK to Canada, fabric from the UK to Hong Kong, two suits made by my tailor there, and shipped to Canada, all in the time it takes Modernize to get to the second fitting, hehe.   James' shirt pics coming once I take a shower.
Monologue return!   Got my first shirt in from James'. Pretty pleased with it. Fabric is very nice, looks to be quite a lot of handwork on the shirt. Fit is good, might want to do a few tweaks for a second order but pretty close. I'll try and post some pics and comparisons with Jantzen and my regular HK tailor tomorrow.
amateur opinion (not tailor): They just need hemming (shortening). Any alterations tailor you can find will do it for like ten bucks. They look a little tight in the top half to me, but workable. edit: it's also super-easy to see how hemming will look - just roll up the legs of the pants (to the inside).   Also, learn to do your own damn ironing, but you don't iron suit cloth (unless it's really cheap or 'washable' stuff, which you shouldn't buy anyway). Take it to the...