or Connect

Posts by emptym

Several weeks ago, I was taking our baby boy out for a walk in a stroller.  Turned out one of our neighbors was starting a clothing company.  I was impressed, so I ordered a sport coat in Ariston's double-faced jersey.  Just got pics of the progress:      
(x2)@Mujib, we just had asbestos popcorn removed and it was about $6 per square foot.  Priming and painting was about 7.     Speaking of which, here's one pic of the ceiling after being scraped, screwed, patched (x2), skimmed (x2), and primed(x2).  Supposedly now at level 5.  Getting two coats of plain white this week:   Now for something not so pretty, found a lot of carpenter ants in an old evergreen stump: I spent a couple days ripping out the whole thing and...
^The contractor already ruled that out.    Went to the house today and my wife decided she'd rather it was centered to the window, so I asked him to move it back.  Other little decisions made:  leave the mirrored medicine cabinet where the old one was but get a new metal housing to replace the old wooden one.  The contractor already decided to reframe the entire right wall to accomodate a standard TP holder and cabinet.  I asked him if we could use push button switches,...
Good thought. The only things I had considered regarding function were two:  1) Centering under the window gives a bit more space between the sink and toilet, which is probably the best place for a trash can.2) Centering to the tub and toilet gives a bit more space between the tub and sink, allowing for easier scrubbing of the tub.   But again, it's only a few inches either way.  I'm not sure the function increases a lot, either way.  But if there's anything you can think...
OK guys, I'm back for some more advice.  The contractor had the plumber install new pipes on the inside too.  And he made one decision we may ask him to change.  Before, the sink was centered under the window.  But he had the plumber move the pipes a few inches to the right, to center it between the tub and the toilet.  You can see where the drain pipe used to be, under that small piece of wood about six inches left of where it is now:     Would you center it under...
There may be advantages to posting stuff FS here, but there are also disadvantages.  And the rule is to keep such stuff to the classifieds section.  When it happens in other threads, the rule is enforced there too, and such posts are deleted.  There are a few exceptions (like the old ToJ thread), but the EG and LSP ones are not. Just start a John Elliot trading thread if you want to sell your stuff w/o starting a whole thread each time.  The EG one is very popular; it's...
Guys, posts selling items or wanting to buy are not permitted here, and recent ones have been deleted.     If you want to buy or sell JE items, just start a trading thread in the classifieds section like the ones for Engineered Garments, etc.   Friendly warning:  Repeat offenders risk being timed out.  
^I agree.  My plan was to do the kitchen next summer, but my wife really wants it asap.  She said, "My happiness would increase greatly."  Before the kitchen, I was thinking we'd repair water damage downstairs, do the wiring, windows, back deck, laundry/half bath, and fix up the in-law unit downstairs.  A new garage door and opener too, probably.
@Numbernine, I have have no idea, but could ask.  The new stuff is definitely thinner than the old stuff.    @lefty, If I had a bigger bank account, I'd say yes, no question.  It's such a learning experience.  And I like to learn.   Also, if I knew we'd be living here forever, it'd easier to say yes.   As it is though, I'd say it's more fun than not, since I'll probably survive, and just moving to that neighborhood from our current place will improve the quality of...
@MrG, my guess is that it was some sort of granular fertilizer.   Today our contractor showed me how he's securing the plywood planks in the bathroom floor:  Using 3.75" exterior SDS screws, he attached 2x4s to both sides of the joists.  The plywood will be screwed down to the 2x4s, so there'll be no squeaking.  He brought that up w/o my mentioning it.   The ceilings look like cloudy skies now.  The blue is primer and the white is drywall mud.  After priming, he used...