Posts by emptym

@SB: Yeah, the kitchens and baths go more with the older, more ornate style of the upper.   @PB: A lot of older SF homes have "bedrooms" that go to a dining room, living room, or kitchen.  I think they have have been used originally as studies, libraries, parlors, or something else.  But when people try to sell a place, they list it as a bedroom.
Wow, neat stuff.  @LabelKing would love these.  I'm going to move this thread to the Fine Living/Design subforum, where I think it'll get more attention, which it deserves.
Can't decide if I like the upper or lower unit more: http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2016/04/06/magical-mural-covered-victorian-near-dolores-park-asks-1-695-million/#photo-751753
I wouldn't wash any tailored wool clothing unless I was OK with them being ruined.  They will shrink, and the wool, cotton, and rayon parts will all shrink at different rates.  If you want machine washable stuff, you'd have to preshrink all the parts before making.  But that would change the character of the cloth, probably making it denser and pill.      It'd probably be easier to get wool-blend pants that are meant to be washed, such as unlined wool rich plants from...
^That's right!  I knew there was a "P" in there.   10 oz fresco is definitely a great cloth.  It's cooler wearing and lighter.  But 4-ply finmeresco has some advantages too imo.  The cloth is smoother and more supple, which I think is due less to the weave (both are equally porous imo) than to the smoothness of the yarns themselves (perhaps because they're more worsted, 4-ply, higher twist, I don't know.).   @bourbonbasted, the only airy hopsack I have is the Drapers...
I have a blazer suit from 4-ply finmeresco but it's about six yrs old, and if it's been reworked, as Concordia said, my thoughts may not be too helpful. Fwiw, though I love it.  I wear it as a blazer 90% of the time, probably an average of once every other week since I got it, and it's held up well.  IIRC, I was told it was 11.5 oz back then, but I've always thought it felt heavier.  12-13 sounds right.  Another member (Pliny maybe) said his got shiny at the knees and...
I was planning on not getting a diswasher.  We never use one.  But appliance people told me that current models way more water efficent than hand-washing.
^Yep, that or a loop hung high in the cabinet, seem to be what people seem to recommend if you're going to ditch an air gap.  Supposedly most dishwashers have an internal air gap though, so a lot of people seem to think it's overkill.
Thanks S.  Do you know what caused the backsplash staining?  I think it's most common to put mable on an island to showcase it, but we figured we'd be doing most of stain-prone stuff (prep work, kids projects, occasional glasses of wine) on the island.   And thanks too, poorsod.  I like that Colorado marble.  Hadn't heard of it.  I wanted to look at Vermont marble, but neither place I went to had it.  The cararra I selected was one of the cheaper ones (26/sf retail but...