or Connect

Posts by emptym

Polyester-4-Life    No, I generally share DWW's aversion to polyester in tailored clothes.     But there important exceptions imo: hot, humid weather or other harsh conditions, like year-round bicycle commutes or so-called adventure travel. And then I only like blends, not full on polyester.  Although, Uniqlo has some golf pants that felt pretty wool-like...  Their low rise prevented me from trying them on though.   I should also mention that Old Navy (of the Gap)...
Pure polyester or a blend in a bad weave would be.  But if you ever tried Patagonia's Puckerware or something similar, I think you'd be a convert.  In hot, humid weather, a little bit of poly makes a garment dry quicker and thus feel less clammy, retain it's shape better, not stick to your body as much, and probably more.  I just know I've been happier in the Philippines, Indonesia, New Orleans, Miami, etc, when wearing poly/cotton blends than pure cotton.
I think faded navy seersucker would be better than faded navy cotton twill.  I have a navy suit that's cotton/linen, and acc. to the Jacknife guys, it was dyed w/ natural indigo.  It's faded a lot, but aged well imo.  I should take a pic of that.  Maybe tomorrow.  Looks like faded denim or chambray, which of course starts out navy, and yet looks good faded.  I don't think I'd want navy seersucker to fade that much, but I also wouldn't want it dyed w/ natural indigo.   As...
I think polyester resists fading better than cotton.  Am I wrong?  I had some old poly/blend shirts from places like Gant, Hathaway, etc. that lasted a long time and didn't fade much.  I have 20-something yr old 100% poly workout clothes that have been washed a lot and faded little.  I probably have more experience w/ polyester than others here . Deconstructed is the way to go imo for coolness, but if someone wanted something w/ more structure, I'd imagine you could...
I would assume that too.  But I'm not sure how they were made.  I have a couple totally deconstructed cotton twill suits from Luxire and they machine wash fine. Ime, poly blends are great if they have a porous weave.  I have a couple pairs of pants made of poly/wool blends, one plain weave and one like fresco, and they're extremely comfortable in hot weather, at least as comfortable as Minnis 8/9 oz pure wool fresco.  But the poly allows them to hold creases and resist...
Yeah, for summer use it's ideal.  I was just googling Haspel machine wash seersucker and this old NYT article came up about machine washable suits in general.  Another, better article from the Wash Post back in 1979, an excerpt: 
I get solid navy seersucker, but why in wool?  Imo the ideal seersucker would be machine washable cotton or cotton/poly, like Haspel used to make.   Beautiful jacket.  BnTailor?
I've wiped the insides with rubbing alcohol.
[[SPOILER]] Nice hat.  Who makes it? I have one like that from Cable Car and have been looking for stone/putty colored one for a while.  CCC used to carry them in that color, but when went back last year, they had switched manufacturers and I didn't like the new ones.  O'Connell's has white and tan, but nothing in between.  And I read on AAAC that they no longer have the lip on top, like in their pictures.  Paul Stuart had a really nice lined version a few years ago that I...