or Connect

Posts by emptym

For shirts not to be worn w/ a tie (and OCBDs), I like collars with lightly lined collar bands (unfused) and unlined collars. I have a few shirts made this way and they're ideal for warm weather imo. When ironed, they're fine for non-CBD wear w/ a tie. But I like a fairly soft look.
Apology accepted. When I first read this, I thought it was Clags. Never thought I'd hear you champion "pop," even as an exception. I guess more passed away with diavolo than we'd thought. Ya, chestnut oxfords could work w/ a gray suit. Clag's version are a little unusual in that they have much more red than usual. (Are they really chestnut, Clags, or am I/we wrong?). Really nice leather and shape, as I mentioned, but they just seem so "dandy" to me. Burg is great...
Ah, so it's still kind of a theory? I do hope it works out for you though, and that you'll post pics.How about we move on to the burgundy>chestnut one?:You could be right, but the jacket and tie seem to have black tones, which I'm guessing is why Clags thought black would be better than the pair depicted. But black shoes would be darker than ideal for the jacket. Burg has black tones that would go well w/ that of the jacket and tie, and red ones that pair well w/ the...
Those look pretty good, Patrick. Could be the photography though. But I wouldn't recommend them as part of a minimalist wardrobe, unless one lives in or comes from Eastern Europe. And then, still, only maybe.Oops. I missed this.Thanks. Ya, more too and need to pair down. Part of it is that I have stuff for both extremes from when I lived in Boston and and the Philippines. And I commute by motorcycle mostly, so I have a few pairs of dress boots.Pic of the pants and...
Black shoes sure, as oxfords, plain toed bluchers, longwings, chukkas, chelseas, penny loafers, or slip-ons. But would you wear black captoed bluchers? If I had to wear one outfit forever, it'd be worn unlined shell pennies (black or #8), jeans (blue or gray), linen shirt (navy knit polo or natural spread collar woven). Actually, it'd be a swimsuit and sandals. But if it had to be coat and tie and no switching for seasons, then a navy suit, white spread collar shirt,...
Sounds good, C. I ninja edited in a few things about the second pair of shoes too, fwiw.
For the first, black shoes wouldn't be bad at all, unless they were captoed bluchers. For the second, I'd way rather wear burgundy. I think those shoes (chestnut oxfords?) would look good w/ a tan tweed suit. They're really a niche shoe imo. Oxfords are best left for suits imo and chestnut for chelseas. The second fit is close to my default for talks or the first day of class: navy blazer (three patch fresco w swelled edges), white spread collar shirt, light gray...
Those look pretty good in that pic, C. But would you wear pants that dark w/ a blue blazer? I don't think those shoes would look as good w/ lighter gray pants and those pants wouldn't look good w/ a blazer. Personally, black shoes look better as plain toed bluchers, longwings, chukkas, chelseas, penny loafers, or slip-ons. Though burgundy or dark brown is better than any of those w/ a navy blazer, imo.
Here's my list fwiw: One suit for weddings, funerals, interviews, etc. Navy, 10-12 oz fresco or birdseye for year-round use. Regular flapped pockets since it's for only for when a suit is required or ideal. Six sport coats, two summer (linen blends in stone and green), two winter (tweed in green herringbone and brown, large-scale glenplaid), two shoulder (navy three patch fresco and brown corduroy). Eight pants: stone, tan, light gray, mid gray in tropical wool or...
Thanks for bumping, S (for the noobs also once known as diavolo) I like this exercise in general and the wardrobe you suggested in particular. But sometimes I think it can be dangerous for noobs since it depends on requirements of weather and work. For example, my brother's a banker in NYC and needs to wear a suit every day. But as a prof in SF, I could wear anything from jeans and a polo to a suit and not look totally out of place. (Edit: Clags basically made this...