or Connect

Posts by emptym

Here's the hemp denim and shirting I mentioned earlier, w/ the heavy linen for a sport coat:I have some shots of it somewhere in this thread. My points are more close together than you seem to specify later. The basic BD is based largely on a 20-something year old Brooks Bros buttondown and one from Peter Lee that I sent in long ago.I like this a lot. I kept planning to draw one up exactly like this. I was thinking of exactly that L but on the left side. For the right...
Given their level of service, I'm sure they shot all 54 hours but with time lapse photography, for our convenience and edification.
This is a good point. But I think it was covered by "all things being equal." Thus the claim would be that well done HW is has advantages over well done GY. Sure, poorly done HW can be worse than well done GY. But that's not taking "all things equal."This is a very good summary with the exception that DW made. I'd also add that, iirc, one other disadvantage DW has mentioned w/ GY is the cork/glue mix, as it can shift or dry and crumble.
I never made that claim. My only point was simply that this was not true:"Even if consumers agreed that a pair of shoes were the most aesthetically beautiful in the world, made with the finest leather and able to withstand decades of hard use, he would reject the idea that they're good shoes, because they weren't made to his standards."Makes sense. I want mine to disappear.That was the first I saw it. It is an interesting point. But it seems to me that its significance...
^That could be, but it's a different point than you were making or I was countering, ie the main point of this thread and the repeated conflicts.
Btw, Nick, Fok, and whoever may disagree with me: Etymotics are objectively the world's best (regardless of conditions or circumstances past, present or future)! Those are pretty sweet Sennheisers though.
Yes, I'm pretty sure I was first taught by a Florsheim salesman in the 80s that GYW was the best method of attaching a shoe to a sole because it could be resoled many times, allowing the shoe, if cared for, to last for decades.You qualified this later and I congratulate you for that.But I just want to make clear that DW's position has always been, as LA Guy suggested, that all other things being equal, HW makes a shoe superior to a GY shoe. And, as I've pointed before,...
So far just cotton twill. But they're making up some wool flannel that I've already washed a couple times. It was old fabric from the tailor's daughter that had some fading from sun and/or dust. I washed it once in cold and once in hot. It shrank a bit and became a lot like felt. Turned out great. So I thought it'd make a great deconstructed jacket that would wear like a sweater on planes, etc. Not sure if I'll wash it afterwards. Probably not because they're...
I think the tailors have it easier here because of the general consensus on the tailoring equivalents of gemming and rubber soles, ie fusing and polyester. Ftr, I have owned and enjoyed gemmed shoes, rubber soles, polyester clothing, and fused suits. I also enjoy and benefit from DW's, Nick's, Justin's, LA Guy's, and other's posts.
Sounds good. It's already a SF standard to justify a few GY shoes over several glued ones.Let's say we also bring into the discussion the environmental costs to our high quantity, low quality habits of consumption. If only we had a climatologist to weigh in on this...I would like a pair of old school (like 1920's old) sneakers with handwelting.