or Connect

Posts by emptym

I'd go for something softer and cuddlier than harris tweed.  A few years ago I got some old stock flannel that NYRanger was helping a tailor's daughter to sell.  I washed it to get out the dust and see if it would tighten up the fabric a bit to make it more wind resistant.  It did, but it also made the fabric more texture. So I decided to see how it'd be as a deconstructed sportcoat.  It has no padding, but it does have one layer canvas that is "floating" all the way up....
Found an old pic and thought I'd bump this old thread w/ it:
Yeah, I love those German windows too.  I have seen them in the US, but very rarely.  I'm guessing part them not being common in the US is fear that people will jump out them.
The house looks great, FM.  Thanks for sharing the blog w/ us.  I hadn't heard of that type of construction before. I'd probably prefer larger windows, but I'm guessing you went with that size for energy efficiency.   And thanks for the advice earlier about the door handles/knobs everyone.  We went with levers partly due to accessibility, although I have no idea if they're required by ADA.  
The door levers for the upstairs rooms arrived    Currently the knobs are a mishmash of really cheap stuff.  But there were two glass knobs that were probably original to the house.   We'll be using them on the main floor for two doors off the entrace hallway.
Yep, the contractor said it's copper to minimize the amount that the studs get cut.  I asked if there were going to reinforce the studs, maybe with one turned sideways in the corner, but he said there was no need.  There isn't a room above this room, so hopefully he's right.  Glad you like the work.  The plumber's from the East Bay. Would the trap help prevent waste from the toilet from bubbling up out of the floor drain?  After posting, I searched "wavy lines, vent...
Took a bunch of pics of the house the past few days.    Remember the wall I scraped the wallpaper, cornstarch, and mud from, the one with huge holes in the walls to rewire outlets?  Here it is patched, mudded and and painted.  Floors have been sanded and received a coat or two of oil varnish.     The bathroom's been tiled   The cabinet doesn't have the door on it, but there's a mirror in the back.  Not sure we needed that, but oh well.   Any idea what the...
Luxire
That's supposed to be common, and magnetic docks are supposed to solve it.  At least that's what a sales rep at the place where we got our bathroom fixtures said.  For kitchen faucets, he suggested Rohl or California Faucets, because he said they have magnetic docks.  Apparently Delta's do too.  We went from planning to get a CF to a Rohl land now to a Delta (Trinsic pulldown).