or Connect

Posts by emptym

Yeah, it's sad how the quality level had declined.  I have a few pairs that are 12+ years old and they have beautiful welts, just as nice as most Northampton stuff.  Here's one:I also noticed that currently the upper leather doesn't curve inward above the welt.  It just falls straight like a curtain onto the welt.  This is part of why the welt sticks so far out -- it isn't tucked under the upper.  I've gone into the SF Alden store once a year for the past five years and...
Are old pics of chambray allowed?  What if it was taken in a temple of denim with the high priest?  Someone posted this oldie but goodie a couple weeks ago.
Iirc someone posted a couple weeks ago, saying it was the same cloth as Drapers but cheaper.  Thanks for reminding us.  Do they have that taupe I was interested in?
+1 to the Minnis options, and add the Drapers cavalry twill.
Will do, guys.
Not sure if they have any herringbones, Jrd, but worth finding out.  Lorinda at Cisco's the one who's been helping me recently: lsavage at ciscohome net
 I was at the Alden shop in SF yesterday and again disappointed to see how the welts were sewn.  The stitches were pretty high count but they were not very well done and welts stuck out so far from the shoe.  Otherwise, the shoes looked good.Big plus one for Luxire.  I may never get a shirt from another company.  Pants and other things too.
I visited the P Johnson guys when they were here, thinking I might order a sport coat in the airy hopsack.  But in their Roma line, which has suits starting at 1600, a sport coat in Drapers airy hopsack was $2150, iirc.  Def over 2100.
Drapers stuff seems really expensive, at least that airy hopsack was. Not sure I'd call it a hopsack, though it may be technically.  It's  a really large weave, w/ each square about 1/8".  They'd all make great jackets.  Heavy, but comfy.  Ideal for SF and plane travel imo. Yep. 
For those of you who were interested in heavy, slubby linens and hemps, I got the swatches from the company where I bought that upholstery linen made into a sport coat.                     The "Lan" ones are really tweed-like.  Twice as thick as the others.   Not sure the exact prices or weight, but iirc, the weight ranges from 15-20 oz and prices from $50-80 per yard.