or Connect

Posts by emptym

Nice!  Any cotton blends from Schoeller?
OK guys, Spoo's right.  The posts made after Spoo's request have been deleted. Keep the conversation to PM from now on.
Very interesting, AlexSF.  I'd never seen that before and am having a hard time imagining how it's sewn. I'm guessing it's hand-stitched after it's been folded and pressed into place. Any idea, Alex?  @Despos? 
@taxgenius Here's some of Ventile: [[SPOILER]] Two others, at least, have posted photos of their Ventile or Epic raincoats.  I bet if you did a search in the thread (button up top), there wouldn't be very many mentions of either word, so you'd find them pretty quickly.
Thanks about the taping and garment replacement guys.  Both jackets have all the tape flaking off, so it'd be quite a project and I'm not sure how possible it is.  People seem unsure of how effective DIY gluing or ironing on the tape is.  Seems quite a trick too to heat the tape w/o melting the garment.  I'm sure LL Bean would replace the jacket.  Maybe I will someday.   The venitle claim about swelling is weird given the DWR.  My guess is that the fabric is more water...
I don't think it's standard, at least not globally speaking.  It may be done by others though.  Which makers have done it that way for you, Sprout? Pics?   Some other ways of doing it:   Chan, with straight machine stitch:   Luxire, with the fabric edge folded under and then hand stitched:   P. Johnson with looping machine stitch:   @UrbanComposition, if you'd rather we spun this off into another thread, let me know.  I'd be interested in seeing your...
Interesting points.  Any links to DIY taping?  I thought it was really hard and required special machinery.  Couldn't find much from a quick google search.   I have two that degraded: One a LL Bean 2 layer anorak bought in 92 with failed tape by 2002 (Maybe they'd fix it.) and the other a pre-Prada Belstaff motorcycle jacket bought in 2002 that failed in 2008.  Actually, the Belstaff probably wasn't real GoreTex.  Both had a lot of use before they failed.
+1.  eVent sounds promising, but I've never tried it.  Polartec has a new thing called NeoShell that's supposed to be very breathable too.  I've owned Gore-Tex stuff for about 25 yrs and it's great stuff if you're going to be out in hard rain for long periods.  Sympatex is good too.  The problem with Gore-Tex, and I would guess any fabric that needs to have the seams taped, is that the seam tape degrades, rendering the garment permeable.   That's why i went w/ a Ventile...
Best method I've ever seen.
Thanks.  Jacket's Chan and pants are thrifted (then tapered by a dry cleaner and cuffed by me using Ambrosi's XxX method).  What's really special about them is the fabric.   [[SPOILER]]