or Connect

Posts by emptym

^That looks exactly like the one my parents had. I used to play with the brush and other attachments as a kid. Ordered the Miele S8390 Freshair today. It's a promo model that's significantly cheaper than the usual S8s and comes w/ a bunch of extra attachments. But more importantly, it's white, which my wife wanted from the start. Although, I do most of the vacuuming... Thanks for the help guys. Miele's are built to last 20 yrs, so I hope we won't need to make this...
Thanks JG. I'm pretty convinced on the canisters too. Took a look at a few Riccars and Mieles at the dealer today. The dealer said Riccar vacuums as well as the Mieles and is cheaper than them. But it isn't as reliable, is heavier and louder than the Mieles. So it looks like I'm going w/ a Miele. The S2 doesn't isn't sealed like other Mieles, so it looks like I'll be stepping up from the S2. The S8 is great, but heavy and pricy. WIll look more carefully at the S6. ...
Thanks D. I'd never heard of Riccar before that thread. Going to check them out at the local dealer. Made in the US is a plus imo. The models sell for about 20% less than MSRP. At that price, the canister models are about 33% less than the Mieles w/ comparable features. Not sure how they perform though.
Thanks OTC. That all makes sense. Although, I think Shark does make some bagless models that are sealed. I'm definitely leaning toward a bagged model, particularly the Miele Delphi, which is probably the cheapest one w/ a powered brush. We do have some medium pile carpet, which seems to require it. I'd read that the only differences between that and the Titan are that the Titan includes an extra brush and the HEPA filter, both of which can be added later and for less...
Our old Hoover broke last week and can't be repaired. We're currently considering a Dyson, Miele, or Shark. Anyone have any thoughts on the three? Edmorel, Artisan Fan, and gdl203 seemed pretty happy with their Dysons. But a lot of online reviewers say they aren't pleased w/ Dysons after loving them initially. Love to hear people's current thoughts on these or other vacuums. We're leaning towards a canister or something that convert between the two, like various...
Thanks to you and heldentenor about GNAT. My memory sucks. Clags even had asked me to change the thread name to that.On consumerism: My first thought is that it depends on how you define "consumerism." Generally, the "ism" means the thing what precedes has been taken to an unhealthy extreme. So consumerism, the extreme form of consuming or being a consumer, is unhealthy. But some moderate form of consumption is necessary and good. So it would seem that one could...
Well said, A. Fwiw, I really like what you're doing w/ Eidos. I recently braved a trip downtown to check out the goods. Very nice stuff.That would also be costly, as they'd have to be provided to all SF officials, wouldn't they? Whatever you do, don't post this in WAYWRN.
Thanks C. Interesting. I'm not sure the love of brands can be divorced from consumerism. There has been at least a few discussions over the years of how much SF members like brands. I think that like any community, we get caught up in them. Perhaps we do less than others, but we like to think this only applies to others. What's a GNAT btw?
You shine light on a very good point, HF. Imo, entertainment is an important part of clothing. (And we are fortunate to be able to enjoy this aspect.) It's certainly not the only value they serve though, as I'm sure you'd agree. On the most basic level, they provide protection from the elements. They serve various social functions, relating us to each other in different ways by evoking certain thoughts and feelings in different people. I remember well a post you...
Yes, and what I meant was that you may underestimate the depth of the realm of good fit and how hard it is to mine those depths.Glad you're starting to come around! Full conversions do take time. Just know that I am here for you on the tough road ahead.