or Connect

Posts by emptym

Iirc, natural shell is the most expensive type because the lack of dye reveals any flaws the shell may have.  Isn't it likely that extra seams are used on both calf and shell in order to save leather in both cases?  In any case, thanks for the comparison shots.  Both are beautiful.
I haven't done it for several years, so maybe I won't...
The three upstairs bedrooms, hallway and stairwell took a full month just for stripping old paint from the trim and doors.  I even helped.  Probably took me 25 hrs to do one door.  They took care of the other five.   The exterior will be a pita.   The painter said he pays his workers about $20 an hour.  But including insurance and taxes, they cost him about $45 an hour.  The exterior will be a pita, because to do it right, we'll probably have the old paint and spray...
Thanks a lot, guys.  Glad to have your feedback, K.  Was even thinking of pm'ing you, but didn't want to impose.  I did see an all white one with a saturated turquoise door that looked nice.   30k seems reasonable for the whole outside.  But if we can do it for less, I'm I'll for that.  The bills have been nuts.  It was $4000 for each bedroom (not incl ceilings), half of which was to scrape the old lead paint from the trim.  
Luxire is definitely happy to not include the usual packaging for shirts, etc.  They've been shipping mine in just the poly bags for years.     Sometimes I send the old ones back with fabric for new shirts and ask them to reuse those.  Or I get lazy/embarrassed and recycle them at Trader Joes.   I really like Razl's idea of having the first order or two done w/ full packaging, and then have it be an option.   And I like Akoa's eco-friendly fabric option.  I've sent...
You had me at that velvet (moleskin?) jacket.  And I hope I had you when I rubbed it.
Thanks B.  Kind of for privacy.  It'd be for a window above a sink, next to the shower.  But the only way anyone could see the shower was if s/he was on the neighbor's roof or on scaffolding between the houses.  Our bath window looks out on our neighbors' wall, about 5 feet away, and none of their windows are in view of ours.  Yeah, I think the bottom two are the most common.  Maybe we should go w/ 3.  I'll see if it can be tempered. Edit, I meant #1, not 3.
Btw, thanks a lot for your advice fellas.    The end is starting to come in sight.  The last few weeks were mostly spent rewiring the whole place, then insulating and drywalling.  Not all walls and ceilings were taken out completely.  Mostly just patches in the living/dining and family room and hallways.  But the whole downstairs was down to the studs.  And they put in recessed lighting down there and in the living/dining room.  They also reframed, reshingled and...
 Wow, that's very interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen irl an all black house or dark gray/black like the second one.  You and I could do that if we were married, but I think my wife would not be happy.  On the plus side, two doors down from us is a house that's a super dark brown, almost black, with dark red trim, including carved gargoyles.  People call it draculas house.  I'm told the owner spent a fortune adding the facade to a plain, newish box, which reinforces...
 I have three thoughts: 1) Yours looks better than the original.  2) The pictures seem to be taken from different angles, namely yours was taken higher than the other.  Your collar has some curve, but not as much as the original.  If it was taken from below, it might show more curve.3) If you really want to increase the curve, you might try a longer collar with a stiffer lining.  But that's just a guess.  @bsarosi's idea regarding the tie knot could also be true.  In...