or Connect

Posts by emptym

Interesting. You're the resident expert on such secretions, so I defer to you entirely.
DW, my guess is that the oils in your hand have helped preserve the leather. It gets handled a lot more than shoe leather. Of course, it probably gets exposed to a lot less grit than your shoes. Some, but a lot less.
What do you think?:
I'd prefer to have mine last 30+. I still have shoes that are 26 yrs old and belts that are 30. I use both maybe once every other week now, but for over ten years I probably used them twice a week.To have things last that long, a conditioner like Bick 4 once or twice a year, or maybe after cleaning off de-icing chemicals, is quite helpful. And most here seem to prefer creams to polishes if required to choose one. But they all have their purposes. To overuse or...
Funny story. Well, more sad. A few years ago, wow, maybe six, I got to know a local shoemaker, just starting out. She'd taken Marcell Mrsan's advance course and he said she was his best student ever, at the time. She had also done an apprenticeship with Perry Ercolino and he had similar high praises. She was going to make me a pair of shell cordovan Venetian loafers. She ordered the shell from Horween and got off to a good start but was plagued by an old shoulder...
I'm 33% in agreement w/ you. Two horn, one MOP, but dark MOP for the sweet subtlety.
I used go to rodeos as a kid. We had a big one every year complete w/ a parade. Those were the days.
Great piece, EricJN. Thanks for it. I'll be there Tues and will be staying for 10 days. If others' orders are delayed during this time, it's all my fault. I'm bringing a lot of requests: Navy fresco suit, sport coat in the heavy upholstery linen I sent, shirt and jeans in the hemp I sent, Tom Ford seersucker from edmorel that I'm bringing, Ventile trench or two, and a pair of shoes or four. I'm bringing some ancient leather sneakers, AS handgrades on almond last,...
I got a pair of BB unlined shell ones and wore them yesterday for the first time. Wonderful shoe. Bought them for travel and they'll be perfect for that. They do come in black and would look good w/ a black turtleneck and charcoal tweed.
Loafers are our friends too. I think "best" in this case depends on context. Sometime suit, sometimes sport coat, sometimes jeans. Why wear jeans an t on weekends if you really want simplicity and to look your best at al times?