or Connect

Posts by Austin Tremblay

I wonder what the weight of the Porter Slim is. I emailed them but they never responded. That might make a really nice, lighter option.
Great find! The fellas that run North Sea Clothing collect vintage Belstaffs. Send them an email, and I bet they can help you out.
I agree that their designs are often nice. I could even say the same for Fossil, at times. But I can't endorse sweatshop labor by buying from them. 
The Stephen Kenn is really, really nice. I think you nailed it; the reason I can overlook some of those simple "needs" I typically think of with a briefcase is that it is, absolutely, like someone ripped my own design aesthetic out of my head and crafted it for me. The comfort of the handles, the leather color, the contrast of the olive on the handles, the Riri zip, the olive, unlined interior. It's all just immaculate for me. I'm thinking about taking it to a local...
For about a year, I used a tan Filson 256. It's really dependable and, much like the Bexar Goods bags, can take extreme punishment. And I liked the price. But it's also heavy and, when loaded, doesn't really afford a lot of packing room. It's good for carrying a few things, but not a lot. The pocket organization is mediocre and demonstrates their longstanding need to update design. I.e., they have a pocket dedicated to a calculator, according to their product copy on the...
I bought the Porter to replace a Saddleback Medium Briefcase. Then I sold it. If you also go that route, good luck... It looks like that Hudson is a much better bet. Let us know how it works out.
Yeah, cutting costs and raising prices. I'm pretty sure those 237's used to be in the $350 range...Glad you've got one that's been good to you. 
Really late to the party on this, but I use Obenauf's LP on Filson bridle leather, as well as a couple of veg tanned bags. I let them sit in the Texas sun for half a day, and they're good to go. The leather is never sticky or oily afterwards. I don't know if it's our sun exposure here or that I'm not using that much. Generally, I dab a cloth with it really lightly or use a tiny bit on my finger (they recommend applying by hand). I tried using Skidmore's, which also has a...
Like so many things, pricing is completely subjective. I think $400–500 is fair for a well-crafted bag that will last decades, especially one that comes with a lifetime guarantee, like Filson's. But there are lots of guys who think Swaine Adeney Brigg is a fair price (don't count me as one of them).  I had one of those bags from Billykirk. They're really light but require a lot of organizational planning and some smaller packing cubes, or similar items, because the opening...