or Connect

Posts by GusW

Nice warm punchy sound in a ES-336. My guess is that they will be a bit brighter in a LP. Hope you will like them.
I have only played one with the Greasebucket tone circuit and that was for a short period of time but I was immediately impressed. The neck PU on a Tele always lacked "personality" and the standard tone control made the sound a bit more dull (rarely used it on my Esquire or Tele's) so this seems to be why I found both the TV Jones PU and this tone circuit to be so appealing.Caballo Tono arrives Tuesday! I'm getting a half a dozen different types of strings from chromes to...
A month ago I said I might end up with one of these and sure enough, today I ordered one. A Fender Custom Shop Caballo Tono. For several years the Custom Shop has been doing various versions of a Tele or off-set body shape guitar with anywhere from one to three TV Jones pickups or mixed with Tele PU's. This one has a hot handwound Texas Special Tele PU in the lead and a TV Jones Classic (vintage Gretsch Filtertron style as used by Billy Gibbons, Brian Setzer, etc). I've...
Looking forward to your 4th anniversary party this Friday. I think I will have to include dinner at Dona Tomas as part of my evening:)
Met a lot of great guys last year at the event. Wish I could make it again this year but I have a schedule conflict. Have fun! From last years loft skylight. What a great setting.
I owned one for a while. Cool look and sound but man those babies are huge! Not exactly the thing to sit back on the sofa and strum.With so many excellent acoustic amplification options there really isn't a need for a large body guitar anymore unless you have a need for that particular tone and look/style. It would certainly be the perfect acoustic if you fronted a Rockabilly band or are considering a career as an Elvis impersonator.
If you are asking, that usually means you don't have a dream guitar in mind and you are looking for something to keep you busy for a while. I'm always balancing resale, value, tone, style, ease of play. I'd look for a small body Martin from the 60's or 70's. That was the folk and folk/rock boom and they made a ton of them. Yes, they are normally priced higher than a grand but I would spend the extra for a Martin. A Martin you can easily sell in any major city quickly. I...
Travis Bean made some remarkable guitars in a sort of experimental vain. Aluminum necks were to be the solution to neck issues caused by changes in temperature and humidity especially for traveling musicians. I saw Jerry Garcia play one live in Berkeley and wow, it sounds amazing without much in the way of amplification or effects.Travis Bean bodies were heavy. This was in the 70's when the feeling was the heavier the wood the more sustain.One of the most bad-ass Travis...
There were two very clean '59's, double cut, red Jr's with good necks (fuller, more rounded....most of that era are a bit thin in depth). But neither "spoke" to me. There will be more (including more of his to try out). I'm just going to take my time and have fun finding one.I'm pretty sure I would prefer a single cut '57 or '58 when they got the bridge/pickup spacing right and those necks are usually my favorite. The early Jr's have a problem with the bridge pulling...
^^^This is an excellent suggestion. It is just so easy to eat the high carb high calorie hash browns and toast that come with your eggs for breakfast when almost any restaurant or hotel will be glad to sub with mixed fruit or sliced tomatoes. Lunch or dinner the same thing with subbing French Fries for a salad or other veg.