or Connect

Posts by GusW

I owned one for a while. Cool look and sound but man those babies are huge! Not exactly the thing to sit back on the sofa and strum.With so many excellent acoustic amplification options there really isn't a need for a large body guitar anymore unless you have a need for that particular tone and look/style. It would certainly be the perfect acoustic if you fronted a Rockabilly band or are considering a career as an Elvis impersonator.
If you are asking, that usually means you don't have a dream guitar in mind and you are looking for something to keep you busy for a while. I'm always balancing resale, value, tone, style, ease of play. I'd look for a small body Martin from the 60's or 70's. That was the folk and folk/rock boom and they made a ton of them. Yes, they are normally priced higher than a grand but I would spend the extra for a Martin. A Martin you can easily sell in any major city quickly. I...
Travis Bean made some remarkable guitars in a sort of experimental vain. Aluminum necks were to be the solution to neck issues caused by changes in temperature and humidity especially for traveling musicians. I saw Jerry Garcia play one live in Berkeley and wow, it sounds amazing without much in the way of amplification or effects.Travis Bean bodies were heavy. This was in the 70's when the feeling was the heavier the wood the more sustain.One of the most bad-ass Travis...
There were two very clean '59's, double cut, red Jr's with good necks (fuller, more rounded....most of that era are a bit thin in depth). But neither "spoke" to me. There will be more (including more of his to try out). I'm just going to take my time and have fun finding one.I'm pretty sure I would prefer a single cut '57 or '58 when they got the bridge/pickup spacing right and those necks are usually my favorite. The early Jr's have a problem with the bridge pulling...
^^^This is an excellent suggestion. It is just so easy to eat the high carb high calorie hash browns and toast that come with your eggs for breakfast when almost any restaurant or hotel will be glad to sub with mixed fruit or sliced tomatoes. Lunch or dinner the same thing with subbing French Fries for a salad or other veg.
Played a pile of late 50's and 60's Les Paul Jr's (sunburst, red and TV including double cut banana yellow) yesterday. That was fun! They are part of a performers "stash" that he is thinning out (He is known for playing jr's) It was really interesting how each one had a noticeably different feel to the neck and how they played. I've always known that, but never had so many side-by-side at one time to compare and to feel the difference. Then they pulled out Joe Satriani's...
Hey @LA Guy I'd like to suggest that you ban immediately anyone who posts retailers and websites that knowingly sell knock-off designer clothing and accessories.
You think changing a double neck is annoying? Imagine being the guitar tech for Rick?
Here is my current "place holder" flat top. It's a nice little old Martin 0-18 from 1965. So a classic folk-era small body. These small body Martins are very comfortable sitting back on the couch yet have surprising volume with medium lite strings. This will be prefect for me to get back my acoustic chops and decide what would be ideal. But I think I will begin looking around for 00-18 from the 50's. A friend (who is one of the guitar guys for Keef and Mick) always has a...
12 strings are so much fun for certain songs and that wonderful chime sound. But once I get one I never end up keeping it for very long. I have a hard enough time keeping 6 strings in tune