or Connect

Posts by ShoeShopperJ

The profession, at it is structured, with its varied complexities, does not lend itself to a warning as to why law school is not a very bright idea. It is tempting, though I of course would never do it, to sign an affidavit stating, "yes, I made more money, and had more opportunity---and zero debt---PRIOR to law school." I am a Notary Public, and I cannot legally notarize my own signature, but I think those entering law school now, 90% of them, are victims.    Some of...
"'Thirty years ago, if you were looking to get on the escalator to upward mobility, you went to law school. Today, the law school escalator is broken.'"   Quoted from Law Schools' Applications Fall as Costs Rise and Jobs are Cut, Ethan Bronner, 30 JAN 2013, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/education/law-schools-applications-fall-as-costs-rise-and-jobs-are-cut.html?src=me&ref=general     I think you are just nuts to go to law school today. But some people are...
    Literally I was JUST wondering this myself. The delivery times are awful!
  Your major is irrelevant. Unless you had a science, tech major, etc. and excelled, your major will be irrelevant. Someone mentioned economics; I tutored economics as an undergrad - not sure how that rumor originated.     The question I would be asking if I were an undergrad is not what should I major in; it is whether I should attend law school at all?     If you do not have the following, then I would be extremely cautious about a career in law (this includes the "top...
I am currently reading On China by Henry Kissinger, and I think it could be worthwhile if you are going to be doing business with China (which seems inevitable). 
  Right - I mean individuals applying for a position that requires a license and have failed the Bar once or a few times.     In all seriousness, one reason why I bother to talk about the legal profession is because of the many and varied misconceptions. It is an incredibly competitive and challenging field. Frankly, I do not think most people are up to it. Notwithstanding that, the barriers and costs of entry are out of proportion to the rewards, at least...
  That is not the question ( or issue, really). An attorney's résumé or cv will include---or should include---the date of graduation from law school and date of admission to the Bar. It may also include court admissions if the attorney meets the requirements and is admitted to practice before certain courts, such as federal court (general bar, trial bar, the tax court, etc.).     The issue is the bias against individuals for failure to pass the Bar. If someone is pursuing...
I agree. I am handling numerous closings (vacant land, commercial, residential, etc.), and I can tell you that the brokers I work with do very well. The commercial brokers that I work with do better than "very well." If you work hard and team up with a good lawyer and also get someone with more experience to mentor you, I think you will do great if it is what you want to do. I know brokers that are just doing residential leasing right now doing very well.    I can only...
    LSE is an excellent school. I have to say that I really regret not pursuing a degree from there. Well. . . I cannot speak to banking from personal experience, but I think you have to learn more about both fields before making a decision. You need to work in a career that fits your skill set (what you're "good" at) and personality (intro v. extro, etc.).     I worked in accounting, and I absolutely loved the firm. The firm focused on entities, trusts, etc. - few...
I agree with the person immediately above that some individuals will ask questions for not passing the Bar. However, I think that is more relevant to the legal field. If he is seeking a non-legal career, it is irrelevant whether he is licensed or not.    I can tell you that bias does exist for not passing the Bar or failing it a few times. A friend of mine failed and is currently unemployed, and he says that it is often brought up during interviews. It absolutely...