or Connect

Posts by recondite

All art is a political statement or an expression of the world view of the artist.   Therefore, the collecting and display of art objects is also a political act demonstrating a fully informed or less than fully informed support for the original political statement of the original artist.   Clothing can be purely functional, in the case of overalls, where form follows function. This is a modern aesthetic.   Clothing can be purely artistic and hence whimsical....
A wedding tie is classic daywear and best in direct sunlight, but not the best choice for an evening wedding since it lacks proper contrast and doesn't look great in camera. I am sure you know this, but don't care.
A dark cardigan sweater would be better, than a waistcoat/vest.   Cotton would be fine. Just buy one that fits well and doesn't hit too low or too high, especially if you wear low rise trousers, because you do not want to flash shirt or tie at the level of your waist.   Navy and charcoal might be best, black could work but shows lint and dandruff better, I would be careful with dark green or burgundy and especially brown or purple.   A v-neck sweater would...
  I understand. So, no for shoulder fit and fit across his hips? I would agree.   I think the open front quarters may be a symptom that is mirrored by an open vent in the back, although we cannot see it. For someone that appears to have relatively wide hips, a "modern length" may not work if the jacket isn't ventless and his bum properly covered by the less than fashionable length.   This potential and unvisualized problem is the possible outcome of following modern...
  Thank you for posting this. As a point in fact, the one invite quoted above is the only formal invitation that was provided and as is proper with formal invitations, it doesn't mention the dress code. There are two invitations above that appear to be formal, or give the appearance of being formal, that fail as truly formal invitations for one or more technical or formal reasons, i.e., they lack the proper form.   The rest of the examples appear largely to be tickets for...
Not the way I would wear it.   But the basic idea is there; ivory shawl lapel jacket and midnight blue trousers with presumably white braces.   In the heat of summer would be the proper setting for me and without the black scarf and watch. I do wear what appears to be the same shirt, or a fly front turndown collar of fine cotton poplin or silk. So, I like that. Clean, white, and no studs.   A DB shawl is preferable, since no cummerbund is required, assuming...
  Good advice. Well done!   The immediate fix is to dramatically increase the contrast of the tie by making it much darker since this is not a pattern failure, but a contrast failure.   The same idea of a tie,  brown and grey repp, works better if the at least one of the colors is much darker; e.g., charcoal not grey, espresso, not brown. Better still, the tone of all colors in the tie would be much darker.   Your suggestion of a dark green tie, say bottle green, is good...
  The only topcoats for men I see with regularity are the covert coats imported from the UK. They have been best for me in spring and fall where there are four seasons, and they have been three season wear in places like California.   And I always called any of the mid-thigh but below waist level coats or parka length overcoats, "car coats", since they do make it a bit easier the ingress and egress of cars. They are no where near as warm as a true overcoat when it's cold...
  Your younger and shorter brother wants his blazer back.   OK otherwise as daywear, but it looks like you are headed to the local modern art museum by yourself with the hope of hooking up with that nerdy librarian gal that you are so fond of  after she let it slip she might be there, so you can treat her to a teatime expresso before walking her home so she can feed her two cats "Antony" and "Cleopatra" , and not like you are headed out to casual dinner and pound some...
  Bright ties with bright shirts work best under direct sunlight or stage lighting, and are a much less appealing look in real life such as evening or office wear, and mostly complete failure in photographs.     The look you describe, or bright ties with bright shirts, is classic with morningwear but not for eveningwear or business. So, wear this look on a hot date or weekend event when the sun is above the yardarm, otherwise choose another look, such as dark tie with...