or Connect

Posts by recondite

Burgundy is an excellent choice with the above for daywear. Brown is a shade of red, albeit a murky one So, if you are going to wear red shoes; burgundy, oxblood, no. 8 cordovan, tobacco, or some other more obvious red tone is nearly always a better choice than some less remarkable shade of brown where red is less prominent.   Black and tan [or khaki] is a classic color combination. It is very high contrast, but it works every time they are combined. Khaki or tan suit...
Some basic principles need to revamped and clarified: -Oxfords [together with Balmorals and Wholecuts] can be worn with anything -Black shoes can be worn with anything -Brown is almost never better than black, the world's ugliest shoes are all some shade of brown -Calf looks great in burg as does shell - the right Loafers are the bomb with suits and look more elegant than most oxfords and balmorals. Only wholecuts challenge loafers for elegance with suits -Bulky...
  Executive Summary:   Shoes with buckles are for children and dilettantes. Brown shoes serve no purpose, other than being different, and the worst shoes ever made are all brown [including tan]. Yuck! Chicks have a shoe fetish, buy accordingly   You should buy shoes for how you live and what you do, and for no other aesthetic. Otherwise you will own too many.
First some personal opinion: monk shoes should never be part of a streamlined shoe wardrobe.  As a point in fact, only children and dilettantes wear shoes with buckles. Sorry for the brutal truth, but there it is.   Your wardrobe should be determined by what you do or better, how you live. I have never had less than a four shoe wardrobe. Even as a youngster, I had a shoe wardrobe that contained trainers, boat shoes, hiking boots, and cordovan penny loafers. Once I...
Great idea. Been doing this for over forty years.   And just like business casual, there are times black tie casual might include a tie.   I mix and match the following:   various bowties, including "Colonel Sanders", batwing, etc.   black peak SB dinner jacket formal pants midnight peak DB dinner jacket ivory shawl DB dinner jacket black and white SB notch cashmere herringbone SB SC navy and black SB notch cashmere herring bone SB SC green...
Ties are a bit tricky with black dress shirts. Ties work best when they are very dark in color and/or have a light to heavy black pattern on a dark navy, burgundy, olive, or brown background. The lighter the tie background, the more tricky things get and you basically need to go full costume to pull it off.   I think black shirts without a tie can be great way of taming really crazy sport coats or suits with very high contrast patterns or  to make a relatively sedate...
The buttoning point should be your natural waist, unless you want a fashionable garment that will look dated and become costume in the next 18 months. Today's buttoning point fashion is hideously high and looks ill fitted, not fashionable or stylish to my eye.   The width of peak lapels should be determined by first the distance between edge of the should and the neck of the wearer and secondly by the height of the gorge, which itself is aesthetic and determined by...
  Your outfit was outstanding. Great way to to combine pink and green.   Well done. You get four stars by my estimation.