or Connect

Posts by kennon

I've been buying cheap/on-sale slacks for anywhere from $30-70 and then spending $40 to get them altered. So I guess around $100 for something that fits reasonably well off the rack would still be a good deal. Prob not more than that, though, since they are work clothes and would wear out relatively quickly.
Thanks for the advice! I just ordered a couple of the levis skinny slacks; will see how it goes. "Skinny" stuff hasn't worked so well for me in the past since i have a tiny waist but pretty normal legs. But can't hurt to try.   I've gone the boy's route in the past but it's difficult to find stuff that is of reasonable quality and cut. I guess it's just a matter of going brand by brand till something matches. As for shopping in asian countries, I thought uniqlo would...
I'm 5'6", 27" waist, and having a bear of a time finding anything that works off the rack. It would be nice if I didn't have to spend $40+ to take in the waist on every new pair of cheap office slacks. Are there any skinny guys out there that have found brands that fit? Most mainstream places carry 28-29" at the smallest, and in my experience even these are actually a good inch or more bigger than their listed "size." That is, I've measured my waist at exactly 27" but...
Thank you for the feedback! And I apologize if I and some others came off as a bit petulant. I'd imagine I speak for everyone when I say we're all really, really grateful for your help on this forum.    Regarding the shirt, I was worried that there is a lot more fabric floating around in the back compared to other peoples' pictures, but the tailor said he tapered and darted the shirt quite drastically already. It still fits considerably better than anything off the rack....
  I'm not sure, but your original post might have sat in the moderators' queue and eventually got missed once other people posted their own newer pics? I recently posted an inquiry myself, but it was hidden for a couple days pending moderator approval, and by the time it was published, it was buried by a few newer posts. I'm hoping it's just because people skip to the last page and overlook stuff that is "semi-old".   Brighter images would help, too, though. I might be...
Bit of a crosspost, but here are pics of my suit + shirt on the tailor thread:   http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions/735#post_5271227   I'm curious about general fit and about whether some of the issues are fixable, such as the popping jacket collar and the lines from the interior construction. I have another shirt on order with Calvin but he is holding off on constructing it until i provide modifications...
Hello! Thanks so much for this thread! I just picked up my first bespoke suit and shirt from Spoon Tailor in San Francisco. Pics below (sorry, there are a lot):   Fully canvassed suit with base charcoal fabric ($850):       Shirt with base cotton fabric ($95):     There's something that seems off about the proportions of the jacket, but I cant put my finger on it. Perhaps the gorge is too high? The jacket bottom too flared? On the...
Yep, they will do full canvas for an additional $50. I believe they also needed an additional week or so since it requires special attention. In my case, they actually mixed up the order and made my suit half-canvassed before realizing their mistake, which resulted in additional delays.   Actually, when I first placed my order, Andrew's brother Calvin seemed to think that there was little benefit in requesting full over half canvas. He said that fusing has improved to...
Yep, Andrew is actually already in Hong Kong so the Westin St. Francis shop is closed, but his brother Calvin is at the Sacramento St. shop through Tues. Was great service-- they will squeeze me in for the first fitting tomorrow and hopefully I will still be in town for the second in early March. I went with a fully canvassed suit with their base cloth for $850, and two shirts for $95 each. I've never had a suit that fits, so looking forward to the results!
Edit: I just called and I guess they had a bit of a late start today. Andrew said turnaround time right now is about 1.5 months; I'm going in to see him this afternoon-- will post again as things progress!   I am really excited about checking this place out! However, when I stopped by around 10am on the way to work, the Sacramento St. shop was closed and no one picked up the phone. I thought perhaps I got the time wrong but yelp lists their hours as M-F 10-6?   I...