or Connect

Posts by Manton

The SF establishment is on the record in stating the view I summarized.
The Tenderloin has been a slum since Dashiell Hammett lived in there in the 1920s. The reason it 's still a slum is policy. The land is obviously mega-valuable. The libs who run the city think it would be a human tragedy to eliminate the last great urban slum in the middle of any otherwise functional American city. Junkies, hookers, thieves, etc. "deserve" a nice location. So the Tenderloin will never be allowed to improve.
I've only seen someone shoot up in public twice. Once was on the A train on the UWS. The other was in the Tenderloin.
That is awesome for a RTW jacket. Hats off to Wang.
I only got one suit from NSM. The pents fit really well. The jacket I think is tight and a little too racy. I don't like it as much as either Solito or Formosa. However, I have gone back to them for odd trousers and would again, if I needed any.
I gave luigi 5 pieces of cloth a long time ago. We're just working through all that. I do like his clothes, but I would say that between him and Formosa, it's a horse race. They are both really good. I have only one Formosa but I like it a lot. It's a little leaner/racier than Solito but wears well.
SF-Berkeley has always had a serious homeless problem, going back at least to the Summer of Love. There have been peaks and troughs. In the last days of the Agnos administration, there was a huge homeless camp on City Hall plaza. That's one of the things that got Jordan elected. He was supposed to become some kind of Bay Area Giuliani but that didn't work out. Anyway, the last time I was there--Labor Day Weekend, 2015--it seemed really bad. SOMA from Market to about...
To top it all off, the Giants are sucking.
One thing about these Italians is that you never know what you are going to get. Some time about a million years ago I gave Solito a lot of cloth. The suits are starting to be turned around now. For the first two, I had fittings. The coats came out well but the pents were loose, so he took them back and fixed them. Received delivery on Friday. Plus another suit, but this time no fitting. Finished suit. Scary! But I'll be damned if it wasn't right on, including the...