or Connect

Posts by Manton

It has not been the case for decades. I was born out there in 1969 and for nearly all that time, everything west of Van Ness ex-PacHeights was dirt cheap, the east bay cheaper still, and the Penninsula, forget it. Hillsborough the exception. Atherton is now the most expensive zip in the nation? I guess that's partly because Atherton is now all teardowns replaced with 15,000 sf mansions. But in my youth, Atherton was the land of forgettable ranch houses whose only...
Actually, the big mystery about the Bay Area to me is that the salaries really aren't that high. Tech salaries especially. NY is famous for the financial sector paying well, and it seems that 1) it pays much better than tech; and 2) housing prices, while awful here, are half or less what they are on average in Marin-SF-SM-SC counties. That is, excluding CWP, 5th, Park, and prime Soho-Tribeca. There is no NY equivalent of the 2br 1ba 1,200 SqF gut-remodel required in...
the last time I did it (about a month ago), I got all the bones. But rather than braise, I made a mouselline. Much better overall. Except that there was so little sauce.
Max, for a piedmont touch, you might want to try the rabbit agnolotti. I sort of made it up, but agnolotti IS piemontese and they do like rabbit ... I think it goes fantastic with barolo/barbaresco/nebiollo
I believe my mother used the Batali book, the general one, not the Babbo one, to make the tiramasu.
SF RE has gone insane over the last 5 years, and really over just the last 2. First, prices have accelerated spectacularly. Second, there used to be a sizable "renter's discount"--that is, the median rent on a given space was lower than the house payment you'd have to make on a comparable space. That is completely gone, and it's more like Manhattan now, or worse. my parents' apartment was actually under water from about 2008-2012, but is now way above the loan value,...
I sort of dimly remember a time when I could go out without "gear." That is, a heavy suit (14 ounces or above) and then ordinary shoes would be enough against ordinary cold. Maybe an overcoat occasionally. But this year, it's full gear almost every day. Hat, gloves, coat, boots, scarf, umbrella.
Will a day come on which I don't have to wear boots? Suede is now officially pointless in New York. It's gauche to wear in hot weather, and you can't wear it in cool weather because there's too much slush-snow-water-puddles everywhere. May as well donate all my suede shoes to Goodwill at this point.
So, snow today, snow thursday, followed by one last deep freeze, then rain for the rest of march, and then Showers&ThunderstormsHazyHot&Humid until the first blizzard of 2015-16.
I think we need 2-3 more really good snowstorms before this winter ends.