or Connect

Posts by Manton

It's worse than that, really. Every online discussion of Mexican food I've ever read always devolves into "That's not real Mexican food." No matter who is talking or what city or dish is being talked about, someone will insist "That's not real Mexican food." Sort of Godwin's Law of Mexican food discussion. Guillermo's Law?
Also, I hear that he does make regular trips to London. Obviously that's a lot easier and cheaper for him to do than New York. He seems to be doing well there. I think he also went to Asia once or twice but I don't know if he still does that. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone in London, or--especially--to anyone who can get to Naples. If I thought he was in any way a bad person, I certainly would not say that. I've thought myself about going to Naples...
I don't know why he stopped coming. I knew about his wife, though I have no details. He said something like two years ago that she had gotten through it. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I can't be sure. Or maybe there was a relapse. I don't know. In any case, about two years ago, he sent an email saying that he had some very difficult family issues, but they were resolved and he would be resuming his travel. Since then he has "announced" trips to New York 3 or 4 times,...
Is there anyone meaner, ruder, more contemptuous, sarcastic, obnoxious and less helpful than an MTA conductor?
This does happen a lot. The only time it really, really pissed me off was when they were showing 1958 BV for $700.
My dad got some estate sale 450 bottle thing, which is in the garage in Santa Cruz. It is quite large and unattractive. You would not want it visible in any home you cared about. However, it seems to work extremely well. There is a temp and humidity gauge in there which I check whenever I am home and it's always 55/70. Funny thing, my dad got the whole rig for $750, which he thought was an absolute bargain. Then within a year, the cooling unit blew out and replacing...
I have been lucky. My parents' place in SF is literally around the corner from K&L, which always has shitloads of old cab and Bord (but rarely anything else with age). I have bought many bottles there recently, nearly all (and possibliy literally all) for under $100, and all have been perfectly stored with corks that looked almost new.
I have this one, which I think is fantastic, but it literally cost half that when I bought it 9 years ago. http://appliances.monogram.com/ApplProducts/ZDWR240HBS Then, I have two others in addition.
I would say, also, if you are in the habit of buying older wine and not drinking it right away, a little fridge might be a good thing. Old wines can be delicate and can react more negatively than a younger wine to a non-ideal temp.
"July-Like Heat to Blast Northeast This Weekend"