Posts by Manton

Goose!
Had a Bollinger NV, which was very good. Consistently impressed by this, and I got it for well under $50, I think it's a great deal. Then Brainaire Ducru 88 and Cos 82. The former was a lightweight but quite good for what it is. Holding on just fine but drink now. The later was the second of two bottles that I had. The first, drunk last year, was spoiled in some way--cooked I think. This one was a little singed at the edges but better than the last one. the core...
I remember reading about the tasting of DRC RC that Allen Meadows and others organized around 2007. Apparently Rudy was the one who secured the 1945. IIRC, Cornwell and Barzelay--two Burg experts--were there, as was Aubert de Villainne, head of the Domaine. They all believed that one bottle was real. One of them--Barzelay, I think--later concluded that Rudy bought and served a real bottle so that the experts would vouch, and then he could thereafter make and sell...
Wine shops will sell them in the high $50s. At restaurants, I've occasionally seen them for under $100 (at the Modern, for instance, not sure if that price still holds though).
the way to buy Krug, if you are in New York, is to buy splits for
Now that would be cool.
alas, the birds that I can get readily already have that joint removed.
Yes that is a classic and an inspiration for Spielberg, Lucas and many others
I love pheasant but have to find the ideal way to cook it. A classic French way is to braise it with endive, which I have done many times. The meat comes out great but the skin is awful. Roasting gives it great skin and better overall flavor but it's harder to keep the meat moist. The legs have very tough tendons in them, like a turkey. I once used pliers to pluck those out of a raw bird before I roasted it. Very difficult and waste of time.
How did you cook it? Tradition says its better braised, but I hate what that does to the skin.