or Connect

Posts by Manton

In Prince 22, Machiavelli famously delineates three kinds of brains: one that understands by itself, one that understands what others understand, and the one that understands nothing. These may be analogized to the philosopher, the "intellectual" and the masses. In the contest of P 22, Nick is talking about his own enterprise. He understands without help from others. Those who understand with help are the subsequent thinker-writers whom he will train and whom will...
The smoke or whatever it is at Shake Shack is delicious, but not so delicious after the obligatory 20 minute line.
I should buy more "bad" vintages. Last night, had a 1994 Cos from a case that I bought on release when I was "poor." I mean, it's not '61 Latour, but it was damn good. Plenty enjoyable for me.
This was sort of discouraging. In CA, I have access to two gyms, both of which have dumbbells that top out at 60s and no squat rack. Well, one of them has a Smith rack, but I've been told not to use those. So I do dumbbell front squats at 120. Last Aug, I was able to do 11x3. Yesterday? 8, 8, 10. Ouch! I tell myself that the difference is that I am squatting much deeper these days, which may even be true. But still. Right before I left, I did a bar back squat at...
For the first time in like five years, I am missing a super heat wave. yay!
1995 Clos du Val last night, the regular bottling not the reserve. Picked it up from K&L (which moved, goddamnit) for $70. Perfect condition. Very earthy and smoky, which I don't get from that wine when it's 5-10 yrs. Totally proves these suckers can age very well. Release price was probably $20 or less. (These days the regular bottling MSRP is about $30, but you can often find it in the 20s). It reminded me a La Mission 1995 I had about a year ago.
My parent's SF place is very close to K&L. They always have tons of reasonably priced aged Bord and CA Cab. I always buy some when I am there, and I always drink those!
In NY, I probably have about ~220 "good" bottles that I never touch. In California, I have ~400, that I do drink whenever I am there (and I am going tomorrow). So it's not as bad as I made out. I think the issue is, in Santa Cruz, my parents are always there or else I have guests or both. So there are people to share it with. In NY, if I have guests, I will pop a good bottle (or buy some for the occasion). But the wife doesn't drink and if it''s just me, I can't do...
every time I think about what I want to have, I look in my two fridges and every bottle seems too important to drink right now, so I reach for a cheapie. It's kind of silly, really.
I'll be there most of Aug. Don't mind fog.