Posts by Manton

That was long before I was banned from the CE. I have no idea what is going on in that thread!
I really want to like Rubicon for sentimental reasons re: Inglenook, but it's never moved me. Very austere and tannin-dominant. I say that as someone who does not typically love the fruit-forward style
Barathea is a traditional formal wear cloth. It's less a twill than a honeycomb weave. It may technically be a twill, but to my eye, it looks different. It also looks too "slick" to be a blazer, I think. You're better off with a coarser weave.
The UX10 is a fine knife--I've got one--but the Takemura blows it away.
I use it for the bird's beak parer, which I find impossible to sharpen otherwise. But for all other knives, I get a better edge more quickly freehand. It's hard to explain, but once you figure out how to do it by feel, you will know. Took me a while to get it right, but now that I have it, I don't bother with Edge Pro any more.
Just back from Napa. Overall, a bit bittersweet. I had a good time, mostly, but there were some disappointments. The biggest letdown was BV. It's just fallen. The wines can no longer age worth a damn, it seems. They were pouring stuff barely 20 years old that had completely turned. The staff was giving me some line about tertiary profiles, but there is tertiary and then there is oxidized-rotten. Some of these were simply bad. Best thing they poured was the 84,...
I've been blown away by the quality of Takemura. I've gotten reasonably good at freehand sharpening and I can put a wicked edge on that knife. You will still need a heavy knife for hard things but for veg prep a Takemura gyuto is outstanding. Unless you want to deal with carbon, which I don't. I've had 3 other Japanese gyutos and this one is by far the best.
Same Christmas dinner as ever: Prime Rib Bordelaise Pommes Savoyard Mushroom/leek gallette haritcot verte rolls Marquise au chocolate with vanilla creme anglaise
1986 Gruaud Larose is baging'. Perfect bottle. Arguably not yet mature but fully drinkable now and very memorable. I can still taste it.
LGA is terrible across the board. JFK has 2 nice terminals, or maybe three. But that's 3 out of 8 at best. I am happy with SFO for the most part.