or Connect

Posts by Manton

I also need to add, of course, that THIS IS THE MOST PRESSING ISSUE IN AMERICA!!!!! MICHAEL BROWN!!!! TRAYVON!!!!! BLACK BODIES DYING IN THE STREETS!!!!! BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID "TAR BABY" WE KNOW HOW RACIST AMERICA IS!!!! THAT'S WHY THEY DIED!!!!!!
Why do you insist on talking when you don't know what you are talking about? I understand that it makes you feel better to flaunt your superior sensitivity over my trogladism, but if you had any sense you would also be mildly embarrassed that I know what I am talking about and you don't. And yet you keep blabbering.
Let's put trigger warnings on posts. Or better yet, word filters. I read Huck Finn. I liked it. Twain uses the N word. I am a bad person! I once said "niggardly" to mean "cheapskate". Gulag! I ordered a Negro Modelo at a taco stand. Racist!
Passive aggressive sarcasm, the epitome of manly discourse. You don't know what you're talking about, you've been shown not to know what you're talking about, and so like all SWPL sackless wonders, all you've got at the end of the day Matt Yglesias-like empty snark. It's not even racist because you say it's racist, it's racist because you've heard it's racist, and even the true story won't change your mind. Too useful as a club in the endless intra-white status wars.
Wrong. The origin of "Tar-Baby" is the Uncle Remus stories, published in the US in 1881. It is a doll made of tar that sticks to Br'er Rabbit and the more he fights it to get free, the more he gets entangled. It is a metaphor for "intractable problem" and was meant with no racial connotations whatsoever. It has acquired some, mostly at the hands of the left who like to troll through all of American history and literature looking for things to get outraged over and use...
You have no idea what you are talking about. Google could solve this problem for you instantly.Not only is it "racist" now, it was always "racist"! The Ministry of Truth speaks!
What should his punishment be? Banishment or hanging?Also, I have new interpretations of numerous terms that aren't consistent with their original meanings, but I expect and demand everyone--beginning with you--to follow my new script to the letter. If you don't, you are a Bad Person and my new PC cadre will get you.
foo threaks are at the heart of what it means to be style forum. How they happen is much less important than that they happen.
Agree with foo about the finishing. Should be a low priority. As long as it's above a certain level (which Solito definitely is) the focus should be on other things. If you're going to Naples, you will probably be fine. That is, if you have time to get fitted in Naples. If you go there to order but expect to see him in another city, I wouldn't count on it. He hasn't been to New York since March 2011. He's announced a few trips since, but hasn't made it. I still...
Yes I would, Kent.