or Connect

Posts by Manton

If you want to start, the best book is called "Intro to Pol Phil: 10 Essays"
The cops told me they thought it was some sort of gang dare, like his bros said "Go get that guy" and he had to do it or lose face.
Well. my approach is Straussian. I have found many things myself, but Strauss (in Mansfield's words) also leaves things to be found. That is, he makes puzzling references that you don't know why he said them. Then, years later, you figure it out or trip over something that triggers understanding.
I had an attempted mugging in Pasadena once, but he was a little dude and I fought him off.
I have, and I may actually do it some day. The problem is, it will not be original. But on the other hand, Strauss and Mansfield are so hard to understand that simply explicating them is a service.
wow it's bad out there toda
All I have is that one thing, which is really a shirt. It's quite stiff for a shirt, and somewhat scratchy. I have no idea what coating/suiting would be like. I found it wore hot, but I am hot in basically all weather over 75/no humidity.
It's Philipine formal wear.
I have a bamboo barong, worn once. Bespoke!
In Prince 22, Machiavelli famously delineates three kinds of brains: one that understands by itself, one that understands what others understand, and the one that understands nothing. These may be analogized to the philosopher, the "intellectual" and the masses. In the contest of P 22, Nick is talking about his own enterprise. He understands without help from others. Those who understand with help are the subsequent thinker-writers whom he will train and whom will...