or Connect

Posts by RedDevil10

Generally not very long, in the neighborhood of 20-30 seconds. More wax is usually never the answer, as only a minute amount of wax is necessary to begin with, so usually a bit more water is needed if the wax isn't working in well (also dial back on the amount of wax being used).I let the first 5 or so coats dry for 5-10 minutes, respectively. Thereafter, you can usually proceed without letting each layer sit to dry. You know it is ready for the next coat when the wax...
It's more likely that you didn't have enough water involved. Too much wax will often create a "sticky" feeling, whereas lack of water will usually create the "scraping" feeling you describe.As Kirby mentioned, once you have worked the wax from hazy to clear/shiny, move on to the next coat.
General Q&A Edition   Last week I answered a few questions relating to the "mirror shine."  However, I often receive other shoe shine related questions and thought that those who have posed questions in the past, or perhaps those who have only thought of asking questions, might appreciate a question and answer session today.  So, please ask any shoe shine related questions you might have today in this thread and they will be answered.  In addition, feel free to join in...
The Mirror Q&A Edition   Over the past year I've received quite a few questions, the overwhelming majority of which relate to the "mirror shine."  So, in lieu of a full-blown polish routine I'm addressing a few of the most common "mirror shine" questions, as I work on refinishing the toes on a pair of my Saint Crispin's jodhpurs.  Join me by posting before and after photos here of your own polish job today!   Remember to also cross-post...
It's the 10003 on the Robert last.
The Evening Edition Now that fall is finally starting to set in, this evening I'm preparing two pair of Carmina brown suede kicks for the coming inclement weather.  Join me by posting before and after photos here of your own polish job today! Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday)! Without further ado, let's get to it... The "damage"  [[SPOILER]]  I began by brushing the shoes gently with the Edoya brass...
Cesare Attolini99% Wool / 1% Cashmere Single-Breasted Overcoat Like New48 EU / 38 US Drop 7RBlack $1,500 OBO  This single-breasted overcoat made in Naples, Italy by Cesare Attolini was purchased from Domenico Vacca in NYC and is in pristine, like new condition.  It is styled in a 3-roll-2 silhouette with a half-lined back, flap pockets, and incredibly detailed, swelled double-stitched edges.  The sleeves have been finished with top-quality, handmade working...
SOLD   Breitling Emergency Mission  Ref. No. A73321 | Serial 8xxxx9 | Stainless Steel | 830A Fighter Bracelet Pre-Owned, Just Returned from Breitling USA Service   $4,500 OBO   Black Dial with Luminescent  Arabic Numerals  Subsidiary Second Hand Date Indicator  121.5 MHz Emergency Beacon Transmitter  Chronograph Functions Rotating Bezel  Sapphire Crystal 44mm Case Original 830A Stainless Steel Fighter Bracelet ALL original accessories, including: plastic...
SOLD   Louis Cartier "Dandy" Ebony Wood Rollerball Pen  Engraved in Crocodile Pattern with Platinum Trim   Made in France ca. 2004   $400 OBO   This beautiful rollerball pen from Cartier is from the "Dandy" line circa 2004 and is clad in rich ebony wood that has been engraved in a crocodile pattern and it is also trimmed in platinum.  This pen was made by Cartier in France, is marked accordingly and with serial 0xxx/xxx7, and is pre-owned such that it bears...
 If it is actually rubber, you might try starting with a pencil eraser (lightly!).  Otherwise, neutral polish in either wax or cream would be a good place to start.  If the stain won't come out after a couple of moderate applications, you may need to resort to Renomat, but approach Renomat with caution.