or Connect

Posts by Ricardo Malocchio

Quote: Originally Posted by gomestar IMO no wine movie compares to Sideways. A doc rather than a fiction... but "Mondovino" for me. And I mean the whole damn 10-part series, not the severely truncated theatrical release. Available at Netflix, but you'll want to own if only to revisit the episodes with the sublime and fierce Alix de Montille. She would be mine (or rather I'd be her's)... if only I'd been born in Volnay. A head's up for...
Quote: Originally Posted by HORNS Mmmmmkay. It sounds like you kinda painted yourself into a corner there with your expectations and criteria of what would make you happy when drinking wine while dining out. No, you completely misunderstand. Completely. I'm merely pointing out the obvious - that certain basic expectations about proper wine service simply cannot be expected at most establishments - and then have offered simple strategies to...
Quote: Originally Posted by pscolari Bauer is a nice little shop. I do most of my wine shopping at either Marty's, Martignetti's or Brix. Where else do you shop? Definitely Martignetti's and Brix. And in addition to Bauer (which is right around the corner from me), I mostly shop at Federal Wine and Spirits next to the State St T-stop. Excellent French and Italian selections. And good wine tastings on Wednesday nights.
Yup, I guess I'm one of those impossible to please customers who likes his red wine at cellar temperature. Some wines - like Pinot noirs and some Italian varietals - even a bit colder. On average, about 62 degrees. But restaurants will never get this right. So, along with your red wine, order yourself an ice bucket with a moderate amount of ice and a lot of water - submerge bottle until at appropriate temp. If waiter gives you a sideways response about "not...
Quote: Originally Posted by tricota Thanks guys. I do belive my very cheap wine days are over - unless I visit my parents - so I am getting in to the around 15 - 20 $ bottle of wine at the moment. Any recomendations would be hugely appreciated... Here's the best QPR wine I've enjoyed of late: G.D. Vajra Langhe Rosso (current release is 2007?). I was able to pick this up for $12.99/bottle at Bauer Wines in Boston. At least that one day. When...
Good for you branching out. Black suits are generally considered... I'm sorry to say... not desireable. You are smart to seek a change. Navy and grey. Grey and navy. There are many shades of both, and you just can't have too many. Consider some dark brown or burgundy shoes. The deeper, richer tones will have send those black shoes to the back of the closet.
I had a great experience at the Soho Grand last weekend. And, certainly, one of my favorite neighborhoods.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Walter Trent I'm in asia, so we need to worry about room temperature here. If you decant, you need to take temperature into consideration. A bottle that should be served at 15 degrees will quickly be to warm if you decant it. Swirling in the glass is probably enough for most (youthful) reds and you don't risk warming them too much. I'm in Boston, so not nearly the same issues - but I'm maybe a bit too obsessive...
Quote: Originally Posted by romafan Aroma on E. 4th(? - around the corner from B-Bar)? This place is a little (and I mean little) gem. Very good food. We/ve had a couple of dinner parties downstairs in the more capacious private room. You did well to find this spot! That's the one! We'd hoped to dine in the Farmhouse room, but it was closed by the time we arrived. Turned out great, though, as Jeff was a wonder at the bar. I think the...
A conversation on Brunellos in another thread brought me here... I'd love to explore this varietal/terroir, but it's somewhat cost-prohibitive for me. I was wondering if it might be worthwhile to explore some of the rossos di montalcino? FWIW, I love Barolos and Barbarescos, and find much to savor in the plain ol' nebbiolos from the region. Also, having tasted an '02 that I liked very much, I wonder if there are values to be found in this off-year? I often find that...