or Connect

Posts by Ricardo Malocchio

Oh do I wish there was a similar, ongoing "Wine List Hall of Shame" for Boston.
Wow, Gomestar. Your write-up surpasses even those of this guy.
The Poggione was decanted for 2-1/2 hrs, but probably would have been nearly as lovely popped-and-poured. It's definitely on the lighter side, but I am surprised at how polished the tannins are, especially given the impressive length of the finish. I think these "baby brother" wines should be drinkable fairly young, though I'm also duly impressed by those "serious" rossos that are practically brunellos. Still, gotta have something to drink while the others are...
2 Rossos from Tuscany, 2007 vintage. Each under $20. Both drunk with antipasto, bread and cheeses. And there ends the similarities: Tenuta Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino 2007: Ruby red in color, translucent. Beautiful aromatics of plum, bing cherry, fresh herbs, rose petals, and maybe just a bit of lemon peel. Palate emphasizes sweeter red fruits, cherries and strawberries, with very nicely balanced acidity. Medium bodied to light, juicy, with polished tannins and a...
Some cheapos I've loved this summer... coupla whites, coupla reds: Michel Delhommeau Muscadet de Sevre et Maine Sur Lie "Cuvee Harmonie" 2008 - $11.99 (a quite serious wine, tasting far more expensive than the price tag. Possibly even age-worthy.) Domaine Felines Jourdan Picpoul de Pinet 2009 $7.99 (try it with food you might pair with chenin blanc) G.D. Vajra Langhe Rosso 2008 $13.99 (just arrived at Wine Bottega-Boston; a bit darker, slightly more brooding wine...
Tastes differ, of course, but I would not recommend Stephanie's. I find it to have a boring menu, filled with tourists, and always smelling of moldy bar rag. Stephi's in the South End is better, but not really destination dining. My favorite in that immediate area is L'Espalier on Boylston (the new digs are not as wonderfully charming as the old, but the food is every bit as good). Sorrelina might also fit the bill for an upscale evening scene. I also agree on Troquet,...
I'm not familiar with the pricier end of the domestic Cabernet Sauv selections, but I notice that these guys tend to get drunk young. At least around here. Are the youthful qualities of these wines - the freshness of the fruit, the intensity of the tannic-y perfume, other aspects(?) - simply part of the appeal? I would balk at paying such prices for any wines save Barolos, Barbarescos, Burgundies, some Brunellos, certain Riojas. Of those, most of these are of recent...
I haven't measured - and there may be some slight variation in cut - but my recently purchased OCBD and "normal" collar extra slims seem to fit the same.
Quote: Originally Posted by LA Guy We'll probably be back in December. It was a little too warm for the tomato soup, especially after a ride, but it should be nice on a cool December evening or afternoon. December would be great for the Bistro Jeanty cassoulet, too!
Quote: Originally Posted by LA Guy High marks for the Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, CA. ... Will go again. Not sure how hot is out there now, but if you return - and the weather's conducive - definitely try the tomato soup. Yes, the tomato soup. I literally wrote home about it.