or Connect

Posts by Ricardo Malocchio

Quote: Originally Posted by Petrus1 I've had these but I think BN is ridiculous.In the past these wines weren't even bottled and just sold by the glass from the barrel in Dijon or Paris. They're dead in a few months. But top notch Beaujolais for the same price. This really needs to be shouted from the rooftops: please, folks, don't spend your hard-earned dollar on nouveau-beau when for a few scant dollars more you can purchase cru. I have...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Just for Gome, 07 Pur Sang. Yes, I got to taste his last bottling. We really lost a genius at wine making there. So layered. Peach stone, minerals, and citrus rind. Piobare drinking wine from the Loire?!? I jealous!! I enjoyed a bottle of this a couple years ago - 2005 vintage maybe? also on someone else's dime! - and it was just glorious. Herbal, citrus, saline Pouilly-Fume heaven.
Opened another bottle of the Merieau gamay last night - cooked. It was from the same box/shipment as the non-cooked Merieau from the night before, and the same shipment but different box as the Montevertine from earlier this week that I thought may have been slightly cooked. Eighteen bottles, but nothing terribly expensive (04 Capanna BdM, and the Montevertines being the most costly). Guess there's not much to do but start popping these bottles and hope there are...
Quote: Originally Posted by gomestar It was an '09 One of these "underachievers" from Louis Tete, maybe? Surely not one of the "WOWSERS!!!!"
Quote: Originally Posted by gomestar tonight is a Cru Beaujolais. I wont bother posting the name since I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Was it a 2009 cru? That vintage is being lauded in ALL quarters, and it's got me dying to try all ten! Actually, this hubbub would likely have passed me without comment if not for that amazing '09 Loire Valley Gamay that I recently raved about, the Jean-Francois Merieau "le Bois Jacou". By popular...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I fucking love Bandol. Now that CdP has gotten both Parkerized and hellishly expensive, it is the last great hope for excellent food red. Fortunately, there are others as Gomestar notes. But yes, I've stopped purchasing/ordering CdP after tasting an aggressively over-extracted, no acid, all oak and alchohol, Frankensteinish nightmare of a CdP ('07 vintage?) at a local wine bar. $22 for the glass and the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Dinner was too rich for me last night. I think what sent it over the edge was the cream/cognac sauce I made in the pan after doing the steaks. Tonight, I might go dry Did you end up popping the Pax Syrah? How are the acidity levels in that wine? Just going on rep, I think it's NOT in the extra-ripe Cali style. But there's high acid and then there's West Coast "high acid", and I think the latter...
I wish I was more familiar with white bordeaux to better contextualize last night's wine. Not a bordeaux, but something akin I think.... 2006 Elian da Ros vin de table de France "Coucou Blanc" A bordeaux blend from the Côtes du Marmandais purchased for $37 at Wine Bottega, Boston. Yup, that's right - from Marmandais. The varietals/percentages aren't listed on the bottle, but per WB, it's a blend of sauvignon blanc, sauvignon gris, and semillon. Very pale straw color,...
That menu's inspired me to finally do the salt-crusted, whole branzino thing. Lemon and fresh herb seasoning. Roasted tomatoes, potatoes, spinach or other green veg. But I'm a little stuck on the wine pairing. Inama Soave safest choice? Or any of a number of dry, high acid Loire Valley wines (Anjou, Chenin, Picpoul, Muscadet) or perhaps a dry Reisling? Gruner? Or maybe go bigger with a Lopez de Heredia rosado? I also have a white bordeaux style blend by Elian da Ros...
Here are the two most interesting wines enjoyed this past weekend, one temperamentally nearing its natural end, and the other exploding with the fresh exuberance of youth. 2002 Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona Brunello di Montalcino A poor vintage Brunello bottling priced in the expensive rosso range (about $37), I picked up two at a Ciacci tasting with Paolo Bianchini back in Spring at Federal Wine and Spirits, Boston. Paolo's a charming guy, a former amateur bicycling champ...