or Connect

Posts by motosacto

Over the last year or two, Filson has pushed out a variety of new products (mostly bags and such) that mash up fabrics like lightweight blaze orange shelter cloth, Harris tweed, etc., with their heavy duty waxed cloth.  I personally find most of these mashups to be weird and overcooked for my taste, so I haven't touched them.  Now they've dumped a bunch of the stuff over to Sierra Trading Post at steep (for Filson) discounts -- over 50% if you have the usual STP coupon...
In the last couple of years I've picked up a number of shoes made by AE, including Ralph Lauren Sanderson gunboats I got from DSW for $200 or so, Hales I got from AE on clearance, strands from Nordstrom, and a number of others. If I pick them apart, they all have little quirks, but they're all shaped right. Even the made-in-India Florsheim gunboats I bought as beaters, with their cheaper materials, don't show same kinds of assembly defects I found in these two pairs of...
Well, I'm 0 for 2 trying to buy a pair of Brooks Brothers "Long Wingtips" (Macneils).  The last pair (described in this post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/43530#post_7094815) had a misplaced lace tab.  This time, the leather on the right side of both shoes is puckered and distorted.  Here's a comparison of the black BB shoes to my walnut Macneils (purchased about 4 years ago).  The puckering looks much worse in person.   Brooks...
[[SPOILER]]  Yeah.... Those shoes may have been well taken care of, but they are nowhere near "like new" by any reasonable definition.  I'll be blunt--the seller is either an idiot or a liar.  On the few occasions when something like this happened to me, I demanded and received a full refund.  I feel that I am doing a disservice to the whole eBay buying community if I let sellers get away with blatantly false sales like this.
I got a pair of Brooks Brothers Macneil's in black alpine grain this week, too.  Unfortunately, the pair I received has a major, fundamental flaw.  On the left shoe, the right side lace tab is placed too far back.  It's really easy to see (picture below). If you count the brogue punches, the tab placement on the left shoe is a whole punch distance behind the tab placement on the right shoe.  The result is that the shoe upper is distorted.  The distortion of the shoe upper...
I have a medium duffle and a pullman. i carried my pullman on two different week-long trips to the uk from california. it barely made the carry on restrictions and had enough space for the trips (2 suits, extra dress shoes, etc.). The pullman also does well with fold-flat dress clothing. The duffle isn't as big inside--it's better for weekend trips and such. hope this helps...
see my post 1865 in this thread for sizing info. yes, it's oily.
High quality Goodyear-welted leather sole dress shoes feel very different from less expensive shoes built with athletic-shoe manufacturing processes.I recommend that you just start wearing them and don't mess with chemicals to try to break them in. If the leather is dry, they might benefit from an early treatment with cream polish. Otherwise, just starting putting the miles in and polish as necessary.You might want to check the sole wear around the toe after a few days. ...
Here are mine. I have been carrying the zipper tote daily for a year. It's holding up just fine. Got the zipper tote from Urban Outfitters -- don't remember which online store sold me the duffle...
The Merrill Wilderness is an absolute classic hiking boot in the made-in-italy style that dates back decades. Definitely not awful, but definitely not dressy. They're made for serious hiking in serious mountains -- Alps, Sierra Nevada, Rockies. Not urban office wear. With the clothes you describe, you'll look like a USFS backcountry ranger who borrowed someone else's sport coat to go to a wedding.