or Connect

Posts by motosacto

No picture, just a thumbs up for Steinhart.  Two years after I purchased an Ocean One Vintage Military directly from Steinhart, I had an issue with the bracelet.  After a brief email exchange to explain the issue, they sent replacement parts, extra springbars, and a springbar tool, all direct from Germany at no cost to me.   Steinhart customer service was excellent, and only let down a bit by slow mail.  I am very happy with them as a vendor (and I like my watch, too!)
 Well, the boot design is a clear and obvious "homage" to the original -- looks almost exactly like the acorn suede / buck sole makeup that Alden has done in the past.  Might as well use a referential name, I suppose. I'm wearing my Pacers right now, and I'll have an example pair of Chromexcel/Neocork 405's in my hands in a couple of days.  I plan to do a careful comparison.  $75 vs $420 (on sale).  Should be interesting...
Done, and with the 20% off JCrew code. Can't wait...
So... I scored a pair of suede Pacers on double secret probation sale for $75. I like them, but...They whetted my appetite for a pair of the real thing. The Pacers in 10 1/2 are a close fit for me with thin or medium socks. If I go to Alden 405s, should I stay with 10 1/2 to get some extra room, or downsize to 10? Anyone who owns both have any insights to offer in relative sizing?Thanks in advance...
I am 5'10", 200lbs, 36" waist, with wide shoulders.  I'm generally a 43 in tailored suits and sport coats.  I recently purchased a Seattle Fit Mackinaw Cruiser in size L.  For me, it's not a "skinny jeans" urban fit, but rather a cut that works well for temperatures from the 50's down to the 20's or so.  It fits fine over a base layer (button down shirt or long underwear shirt, and a thin insulating layer (Patagonia nano-puff jacket, or a thin wool sweater).  I still have...
I don't have any pics, but I've been carrying a Navy Filson Red Label tote bag most days for 2 years. The natural leather trim has darkened some, but the Navy canvas still looks new--no fading to speak of...
I used to always carry a Swiss Army knife and a mini mag light in my briefcase. Travel restrictions after 9/11 put an end to that, and I'm out of the habit. I have swiss army knives tucked into various drawers at home and grab one when I need it (which is fairly often). My dad carries an old Schrade (a brand no longer made) something like the Buck 303 Cadet. Same purposes as above--opening packages, sharpening pencils, various other small tool tasks...
 I'm not a fan of Shinola as a brand name. That said, they seem to be doing quite well, and they have to start somewhere.  Most people who are going to buy higher end fashion watches (as opposed to true watch aficionados) are probably perfectly happy with quartz, maybe even more than they would be with mechanical movements.  There does appear to be a significant market for watches in the $500+ range -- Burberry, Swiss Army, Tissot, and many others seem to move lots of...
 Some companies split things -- they make some stuff in the USA and some stuff elsewhere.  Filson has ramped up their production a lot lately, and they're also adding quite a bit of different products into their mix.  Their having a few non-USA products is fine by me.  I just don't want to see them take great current designs, cheapen the construction, and raise the prices past the moon. I really hope they don't go the same route that, say, Baracuta went.  Baracuta G9...
That's too bad, really.  The Bedrock Manufacturing story is fairly inspirational -- they're the founders of Shinola, for example (explains the Filson/Shinola product mashups): http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2014/02/making-it-America