or Connect

Posts by Lydia

Long before I came to this forum, I was used to hearing the pretentious "button openers" berated. In fact, the idea of working sleeve buttons was introduced to me in this light. It's a silly question, though it does reveal a bit about one's philosophy of life. Often you pay extra for the opening buttons - some people even have MTM clothing altered. You pay this money, but then you have to worry about seeming like a showy ass if you display what you paid for. You're...
Now if only all the "permanent fashions" weren't cut for the typical middle-aged businessman. But of course it is he who can afford them. I mean, I realize that slim cuts are also just a passing trend and that the world will soon come back to its baggy trad senses, but until I grow quite a bit horizontally, I don't think I'll feel comfortable wearing anything from Brioni, Ralph Lauren, etc. What I'm saying is that, yes, Zara and H&M do suck, as do Gucci and its ilk, but...
Just to clarify: I didn't mean to deny that there are plenty of people now in Shanghai who, quite proudly, wear the real thing. However, I have seen MANY fake zegna suits like that one. I would say that they are the most commonly faked suit here so far. The real Zegna has done a good job here and its outlets are in most of the main cities. I wish they would fake something a bit sportier like a dior homme suit. In suits, watch out for suspicious looking Zegna, Ferre,...
Quote: For the edification of the novices on this board, how would one tell that this was a fake? It's location is Shanghai. You don't have to know about suits. These people aren't doing all that much to hide that it's fake.
I was wondering if there are any good, low-priced, sources of fabric online. I have been interested in getting some liberty print cotton for shirts, but also suiting fabric in general. What about velvet? I have checked ebay and didn't find much fabric.
Quote: Well, I would certainly not get pink. Come to think of it, I would not get baby blue either. If you want linen, why not cream or tan or "mustard" (a sort of tannish, dull yellow)? Yes, pink may be a bit too much. It's just that all of my friends have cream or tan linen suits and I'm a bit of tired of it. Clearly a more neutral color would be easier to match with my shirts (many of which are blue, striped, check, or solid or pink for that...
Quote: Isn't wearing one of these what got Jay Gatsby killed? Oh, no. I can't remember if that's what he was wearing, but I was also considering a light - perhaps baby - blue. Which one do you think would be more attractive, if I want a colorful linen suit?
Keep in mind that I don't live in the States with its rigid style rules, that emphasize subtlety. It's obviously for casual wear in the summer. My girlfriend suggested it. I know women are not generally considered to be a good source for fashion advice. I was thinking of a relatively standard design. Double vented, relatively slim fitting, etc. Any ideas for the cut? It would be the usual light pink that many dress shirts come in. What do you think it would match in...
Quote: We need to get back to a frame of values in this country in which it is acceptable for men to sit for days at a time in their battered recliners, unshaven, guzzling beer from an open can and letting it drizzle down their lips and onto their sleeveless undershirts. American men should be encouraged to go for weeks without shaving and expectorate in public, secure in the knowledge that the size of their 'loogie' will render them irresistable to female...
Quote: I'm pretty thin by Western standards (true 30" waist) but I'm afraid I'm going to be looked at as a fat-ass if I move there. Better get back on the starvation diet (aka anorexia). If I were to move, it would be most likely to Shanghai as I have family there. I'm glad to hear that it's much more hip than Beijing. Are the ABC expats easy to identify from their clothing? If so, do the locals look to emulate that style or do they shun them for their foreign...