or Connect

Posts by McDermott

With regards to the Pitti umo stuff (we are going a bit off track here, but still) from someone who works with tailoring and has a passion for it, I think these guys are clowns. They treat what they wear as costume..you can wear what you want and experiment with it, have fun with your clothing but a man should look serious. These are the guys who the internet have termed 'I-gents' (a quick google and a look on this forum as well as others will prob give good examples). For...
Im talking about what we commonly call funk  within the  70's (and beyond) distinction not by  strict musical terminology. a quote just straight from Wikipedia :Dave Godin - ''I had started to notice that northern football fans who were in London to follow their team were coming into the store to buy records, but they weren't interested in the latest developments in the black American chart. I devised the name as a shorthand sales term. It was just to say 'if you've got...
 Not all Funk is Off beat as I said ! What Im saying is that NS is broader in terms of definition then a 'motown'esqe sound, or 60's RnB.Dave Godin Invented the term Northern soul In blues and soul magazine as has been mentioned, the term might have been used in America to describe what your saying, i dont know we are not talking about it in that context. What I dont like is your shitty attitude, and the fact your last statement has nothing in conjunction with what we are...
 Correct.It was probably as big a movement as skinhead. I also think its maybe the hardest scene to explain or for anyone outside of it to grasp, and thats not a dig ! My mate chris a good dancer proving it can be funky as hell... We didnt invent it but were selective with what was played. Some will claim true northern only exists in records prior the 70s, but even then you can find earlier records with that kind of sound. Not all Funk is off beat. Can you dig it now ?
  buy direct : http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epages/BT3129.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3129/Products/%22Harrington%20Jackets%2C%20Khaki%20Green%2C%22/SubProducts/%22Harrington%20Jacket%20Khaki%20Green%20XL%22     Re : solatios shoes not a bad shoe at all when worn with the right gear, also like norweigans or 'box top' as you mentioned, and the diamond style/ crossovers later worn...wearing a pair the other week.. .
Like as seen here with Slade...   Weve had this pic before i know, but Lad second from left...but what are they ? The white pumps again ? or Baseball boots ?
Jesus christ, look at blackpool back then...when it was safe to go outdoors past 4 o clock.
After talking to my dad he opened up some more :   He says actually we did call ourselfs skinheads, Tim richmond was 16 when he had his brogues nicked, maybe 15. He says his shoes were a size too big as well, but being the first kid to have a proper saturday job he was always the best dressed and would turn up every other week with a different colour stapress or tonics. He remembers envy of a pair of Purple ones.  I had a crombie with the keighley badge on , some...
    Reminds me of a story my dad tells from his days. My dad was a big soulie back in the day as I have mentioned before, but caught on a little too later to be a skinhead ( born 1956 so 69 wouldve been 13 and remembers well...well he wore the gear but never called himself such) but was wearing monkey boots tonics etc. Coming from keighley he said news spread round quick, so when his mate Tim was the first person to buy a pair of royals in that area all the lads heard...
If anyone is looking for a Cheap Timex styled watch with the NATO strap, then the new timex weekenders worth a look : http://www.timex.co.uk/Category.aspx Dont pay that price for them though - if you look around several sites and ebay you can get them £20-30. A better 'proper' alternative would be the army issue CWC with the nato strap which i think will be next purchase   Talk of the college cardies reminds me of the Dundee gang jumpers again : I imagine going into...