or Connect

Posts by joiji

Fairly sure the JR soles were a reasonably recent development (last couple of years), so if you're ordering a style which has been around for a while, you may be getting stock which is several years old (wouldn't surprise me if some of the models on the Carmina website are a mix of old and new).   I wouldn't worry about it, a lack of a JR sole isn't the end of the world.
 Dropped in today, they are in a small lane off Hindley St these days. Andy is happy to do hems still, but no alterations. AFAIK he never actually offered alterations aside from hemming with an old chainstitch machine. He's happy to take hemming by mail too, flick him an email  to sort out all the details if you'd like to pursue that further.andy@righthanddistribution.com I regret dropping in through, ended up grabbing another pair of Tellasons because they were so well...
If you aren't in a great rush, I'll try and drop in and see Andy this week and see what's up.
 Standard width in Rain is EE. Rain E is narrow, with EEE being wide. So 12EE Rain = 13D US.
 My mistake, thought you were referring to their previous shell MTO makeup in saddle, which was on Queens.
Saddle split toe from Skoak was on Queens, which iirc is Simpson with an almond toe, rather than chisel.   Skoak had a MTO bal boot changed from Robert to Rain, I'm not aware of a split toe on Rain.   The image that is being quoted by the GMTO OP is from Unipair, the shoes are on the Simpson last.   AFAIK, Carmina only does an 'invisible' stitch for their split toe shoe, at the moment. They have a model coming, which is very similar to Alden's NST style, but at the...
 How so? You were arguing that Loake wasn't appreciably better than StC, Vass, etc, and that the only difference was 'design'. If you look at several factors, shape, colour, etc, aside, there are areas which these shoes do actually differ. I agree with you on the other points, that, for instance, you gain very little moving from something like Carmina, to say, Edward Green, as the underlying construction, and often the materials, are the same, but you specified makers...
 Not sure I agree. Loake still uses a lot of polished leather and goodyear welts, which leave a lot to be desired in comparison to hand welting and higher end leathers.
 For those interested in this MTO, we will likely be basing the boot on this model   But in black shell, blind or black eyelets/hooks.
 More temp wise than rain/etc, I'm not phased by water spotting on shell, but understand this is a consideration for some.