or Connect

Posts by GuP

Quote: Originally Posted by whoopee That tasting menu will not go that well with just a red or just a white. Maybe a rose champagne, if you must. Easiest is to ask them to pair a couple glasses with the menu; the sommelier will surely have some in mind. That would be my recommendation. A safe choice would be to get a glass of champagne and a red burgundy/Pinot Noir. Or an Alsatian Riesling or Pinot Blanc, more useful than an off-dry German...
Where's a good smokeshop in NYC? I want to hit it up with my girl and check it out. I have only smoked cigars a couple of times before but have always wanted to indulge myself into the cigar world. Any tips on where to go and what to smoke?
Quote: Originally Posted by Dmax For people who are not big wine drinkers and not knowing your other preferences I would recommend a German Riesling (white, off-dry, goes well with spicier food). Gramercy Tavern lists a few under $50, like Monchhof Kabinet @$38 and Eifel Kabinet Halbtrocken @$36. Let us know if you need a red or a drier white recommendation. I don't really know much about wine so everytime I dine, I usually just...
For GT, can I rock some jeans and a sweater? Or is it like Daniel where a jacket is required?
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing What an awful name--I can't help but think of that industrial lubricant. Ditto. I wonder what they were thinking when they named it...
Excellent! Just made reservations at GT and will cancel Daniel's on Monday. The dress code is business casual. Does that mean jeans and button down shirt? Or trousers w/ belt and a shirt tucked in? BTW, can you gentleman recommend a bottle of wine? I am not too up on this stuff and would rather ask here than the waiter. Price range ~50ish.
Ahh you guys are right about EMP. I quickly glanced through the menu and thought the price was 145/person but it is indeed 102/person for a 4 course meal. I am guessing 102 + 102 + 50 (wine bottle) = 254 + 20% = ~300. Do you think there is a bottle around 50 or is everything over a 100? Gramercy Tavern has a dinner tasting menu for 110. I am guessing the total will be about the same as EMP. Another restaurant I considered was Bouley. The tasting menu is...
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Eleven Madison Park. Three star chef that's not (yet) priced as three star. That is a nice restaurant but it is in the same price range as Daniel.
Gentleman, my lady's birthday is coming up soon and I want to take her to a nice restaurant in NYC. I initially had Daniel in mind but after calculations the dinner + wine + gratuity would cost around $400. That is a bit steep for me and I want to stay around $300 for the grand total. Can you guys suggest a place? I was looking at places like Babbo, Cafe Bouloud, etc. I am not too familiar with these places. The other restaurants that come highly recommended from...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Smith I would go with the suit but wear a colourful Etro shirt and ditch the tie. I don't have an Etro shirt...